How Risky Are Banks' Risk Weighted Assets? Evidence From the Financial Crisis
AbstractWe study how investors account for the riskiness of banks'' risk-weighted assets (RWA) by examining the determinants of stock returns and market measures of risk. We find that banks with higher RWA had lower stock returns over the US and European crises. This relationship is weaker in Europe where banks can use Basel II internal risk models. For large banks, investors paid less attention to RWA and rewarded instead lower wholesale funding and better asset quality. RWA do not, in general, predict market measures of risk although there is evidence of a positive relationship before the US crisis which becomes negative afterwards.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/36.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David G. Mayes & Hanno Stremmel, 2014.
"The Effectiveness of Capital Adequacy Measures in Predicting Bank Distress,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2014/1.
- David G. Mayes & Hanno Stremmel, 2014. "The Effectiveness of Capital Adequacy Measures in Predicting Bank Distress," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Kapan, Tümer & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013.
"Balance sheet strength and bank lending during the global financial crisis,"
33/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- TÃ¼mer Kapan & Camelia Minoiu, 2013. "Balance Sheet Strength and Bank Lending During the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Matthew Schurin, 2012. "Optimal Fiscal Policy and the Banking Sector," Working papers 2012-40, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2013.
- Chan-Lau, Jorge A. & Liu, Estelle X. & Schmittmann, Jochen M., 2013. "Equity returns in the banking sector in the wake of the great recession and the European sovereign debt crisis," Discussion Papers 32/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.