Macroprudential Policies and Housing Pricesâ€”A New Database and Empirical Evidence for Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe
AbstractSeveral countries in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe used a rich set of prudential instruments in response to last decadeâ€™s credit and housing boom and bust cycles. We collect detailed information on these policy measures in a comprehensive database covering 16 countries at a quarterly frequency. We use this database to investigate whether the policy measures had an impact on housing price inflation. Our evidence suggests that someâ€”but not allâ€”measures did have an impact. These measures were changes in the minimum CAR and non-standard liquidity measures (marginal reserve requirements on foreign funding, marginal reserve requirements linked to credit growth).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/303.
Date of creation: 27 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Credit Growth and the Effectiveness of Reserve Requirements and Other Macroprudential Instruments in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 12/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Crowe, Christopher & Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Rabanal, Pau, 2013.
"How to deal with real estate booms: Lessons from country experiences,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 300-319.
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan, 2011. "How to Deal with Real Estate Booms: Lessons from Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Celeska, Frosina & Gligorova, Viktorija & Krstevska, Aneta, 2011. "Macroprudential regulation of credit booms and busts : the experience of the National Bank of the Republic of Macedonia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5770, The World Bank.
- Kenc, Turalay & Turhan, M. Ibrahim & Yildirim, Onur, 2011. "The experience with macro-prudential policies of the central bank of the republic of Turkey in response to the global financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5834, The World Bank.
- Deniz Igan & Heedon Kang, 2011. "Do Loan-to-Value and Debt-to-Income Limits Work? Evidence from Korea," IMF Working Papers 11/297, International Monetary Fund.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2006.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
056, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Frait, Jan & Gersl, Adam & Seidler, Jakub, 2011. "Credit growth and financial stability in the Czech Republic," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5771, The World Bank.
- Damiaan Persyn & Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Error-correction–based cointegration tests for panel data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 232-241, June.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Bas B. Bakker & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche & Deniz Igan & Hui Tong, 2012. "Policies for Macrofinancial Stability: How to Deal with Credit Booms," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/06, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Macroprudential Policy: What Instruments and How to Use Them? Lessons from Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Pau Rabanal & Dominic Quint, 2013.
"Monetary and Macroprudential Policy in an Estimated DSGE Model of the Euro Area,"
2013 Meeting Papers
604, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dominic Quint & Pau Rabanal, 2013. "Monetary and Macroprudential Policy in an Estimated DSGE Model of the Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 13/209, International Monetary Fund.
- Steiner, Katharina & Hildebrandt, Antje & Huynh-Olesen, Duy T. & Wagner, Karin, 2013. "Residential Property Prices in Central, Eastern and Southeastern European Countries," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.