Optimal Oil Production and the World Supply of Oil
AbstractWe study the optimal oil extraction strategy and the value of an oil field using a multiple real option approach. The numerical method is flexible enough to solve a model with several state variables, to discuss the effect of risk aversion, and to take into account uncertainty in the size of reserves. Optimal extraction in the baseline model is found to be volatile. If the oil producer is risk averse, production is more stable, but spare capacity is much higher than what is typically observed. We show that decisions are very sensitive to expectations on the equilibrium oil price using a mean reverting model of the oil price where the equilibrium price is also a random variable. Oil production was cut during the 2008â€“2009 crisis, and we find that the cut in production was larger for OPEC, for countries facing a lower discount rate, as predicted by the model, and for countries whose governmentsâ€™ finances are less dependent on oil revenues. However, the net present value of a countryâ€™s oil reserves would be increased significantly (by 100 percent, in the most extreme case) if production was cut completely when prices fall below the country's threshold price. If several producers were to adopt such strategies, world oil prices would be higher but more stable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/294.
Date of creation: 17 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Aleksandrov, Nikolay & Espinoza, Raphael & Gyurkó, Lajos, 2013. "Optimal oil production and the world supply of oil," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1248-1263.
- Nikolay Aleksandrov & Raphael Espinoza & Lajos Gyurko, 2012. "Optimal Oil Production and the World Supply of Oil," OxCarre Working Papers, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford 092, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- Q30 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nagae, Takeshi & Akamatsu, Takashi, 2008. "A generalized complementarity approach to solving real option problems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1754-1779, June.
- Frederick Van der Ploeg & Anthony J. Venables, 2009.
"Harnessing Windfall Revenues: Optimal Policies for Resource-Rich Developing Economies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2571, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Anthony J. Venables, 2011. "Harnessing Windfall Revenues: Optimal Policies for Resource‐Rich Developing Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(551), pages 1-30, March.
- Rick Van der Ploeg & Tony Venables, 2011. "Harnessing windfall revenues: Optimal policies for resource-rich developing economies," Economics Series Working Papers, University of Oxford, Department of Economics 543, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Paddock, James L & Siegel, Daniel R & Smith, James L, 1988. "Option Valuation of Claims on Real Assets: The Case of Offshore Petroleum Leases," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 103(3), pages 479-508, August.
- Nikolay Aleksandrov & Raphael Espinoza, 2011. "Optimal Oil Extraction as a multiple Real Option," OxCarre Working Papers, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford 064, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Farzin, Y. H., 2001. "The impact of oil price on additions to US proven reserves," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 271-292, July.
- Krichene, Noureddine, 2002. "World crude oil and natural gas: a demand and supply model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 557-576, November.
- N. Aleksandrov & B. Hambly, 2010. "A dual approach to multiple exercise option problems under constraints," Computational Statistics, Springer, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 503-533, June.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 2002. "Monte Carlo valuation of American options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 271-286.
- Alvarez, Luis H. R. & Keppo, Jussi, 2002. "The impact of delivery lags on irreversible investment under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 173-180, January.
- Patrick Jaillet & Ehud I. Ronn & Stathis Tompaidis, 2004. "Valuation of Commodity-Based Swing Options," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 50(7), pages 909-921, July.
- Christian Bender, 2011. "Dual pricing of multi-exercise options under volume constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Koskela, Erkki, 2006.
"Does risk aversion accelerate optimal forest rotation under uncertainty?,"
Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 171-184, December.
- Luis H. R. Alvarez & Erkki Koskela, 2004. "Does Risk Aversion Accelerate Optimal Forest Rotation under Uncertainty?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1285, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-73, July.
- Lajos Gergely Gyurko & Ben Hambly & Jan Hendrik Witte, 2011. "Monte Carlo methods via a dual approach for some discrete time stochastic control problems," Papers 1112.4351, arXiv.org.
- Octavio A. F. Tourinho., 1979. "The Option Value of Reserves of Natural Resources," Research Program in Finance Working Papers, University of California at Berkeley 94, University of California at Berkeley.
- N. Meinshausen & B. M. Hambly, 2004. "Monte Carlo Methods For The Valuation Of Multiple-Exercise Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 557-583.
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 893-911, July.
- René Carmona & Nizar Touzi, 2008. "Optimal Multiple Stopping And Valuation Of Swing Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 239-268.
- Samu Peura & Jussi Keppo, 2006. "Optimal Bank Capital with Costly Recapitalization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 2163-2202, July.
- Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Pricing American-style securities using simulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1323-1352, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.