What Role Can Financial Policies Play in Revitalizing SMEs in Japan?
AbstractThe paper discusses the role the financial sector can play in supporting growth in Japan. While overall credit conditions have been accommodative, credit growth has remained weak, especially for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Firm-level SME data and sectoral corporate balance sheets show that many SMEs have faced structural challenges of high leverage and low profitability. Moreover, the global financial crisis has weakened the financial position across SMEs, particularly for those with low credit worthiness. These challenges are closely related to low availability of riskcapital and the pervasiveness of credit support measures. This paper argues that to encourage the supply of risk-based capital, costly government support measures should be phased out and SME restructuring be accelerated. Efforts are also needed to deepen capital markets to enhance risk capital availability and address regulatory barriers to starting businesses. In that regard, addressing SMEweaknesses would improve private investment, enhance firm productivity, and lift growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/291.
Date of creation: 11 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2008.
"Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1943-77, December.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2006. "Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan," NBER Working Papers 12129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uesugi, Iichiro & Sakai, Koji & Yamashiro, Guy M., 2010.
"The Effectiveness of Public Credit Guarantees in the Japanese Loan Market,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 457-480, December.
- Uesugi, Iichiro & Sakai, Koji & Yamashiro, Guy M., 2008. "The Effectiveness of Public Credit Guarantees in the Japanese Loan Market," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 400, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ichiro Tokutsu & Kazuo Ogawa & Mika Saito, 2012. "Japan out of the Lost Decade: Divine Wind or Firmsâ€™ Effort?," IMF Working Papers 12/171, International Monetary Fund.
- ONO Arito & SAKAI Koji & UESUGI Iichiro, 2008.
"The Effects of Collateral on SME Performance in Japan,"
08037, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ono, Arito & Sakai, Koji & Uesugi, Iichiro, 2008. "The Effects of Collateral on SME Performance in Japan," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 401, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Arping, Stefan & Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan D., 2010.
"Public initiatives to support entrepreneurs: Credit guarantees versus co-funding,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 26-35, April.
- Stefan Arping & Gy�ngyi L�r�nth & Alan Morrison, 2009. "Public Initiatives to Support Entrepreneurs: Credit Guarantees versus Co-Funding," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-019/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koji Sakai & Iichiro Uesugi & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2005.
"Firm Age and the Evolution of Borrowing Costs: Evidence from Japanese Small Firms,"
05026, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Sakai, Koji & Uesugi, Iichiro & Watanabe, Tsutomu, 2010. "Firm age and the evolution of borrowing costs: Evidence from Japanese small firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1970-1981, August.
- Sakai, Koji & Uesugi, Iichiro & Watanabe, Tsutomu, 2008. "Firm Age and the Evolution of Borrowing Costs: Evidence from Japanese Small Firms," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 354, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Uesugi, Iichiro, 2008. "Efficiency of Credit Allocation and Effectiveness of Government Credit Guarantees: Evidence from Japanese Small Businesses," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 353, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- KWON Hyeog Ug & NARITA Futoshi & NARITA Machiko, 2009. "Resource Reallocation and Zombie Lending in Japan in the '90s," Discussion papers 09052, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.