Performance of Publicly Listed Chilean Firms During the 2008â€“09 Global Financial Crisis
AbstractThis paper examines publicly listed Chilean firmsâ€™ performance during the 2008â€“09 crisis. In particular, it studies the effects from changes in external financing conditions, aggregate demand, and international trade on firmsâ€™ investment, sales, and profits, using firm-specific characteristics measured prior to the crisis. The evidence suggests that the crisis had a larger negative impact on firms with greater reliance on external financing, and firms with higher sensitivity to aggregate demand and exports. Firms with more foreign currency debt also had larger declines in sales, although their investment or profits did not differ significantly from other firms.�
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/261.
Date of creation: 31 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens, Stijn & Tong, Hui & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2012.
"From the financial crisis to the real economy: Using firm-level data to identify transmission channels,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 375-387.
- Stijn Claessens & Hui Tong & Shang-Jin Wei, 2011. "From the Financial Crisis to the Real Economy: Using Firm-level Data to Identify Transmission Channels," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Claessens & Hui Tong & Shang-Jin Wei, 2011. "From the Financial Crisis to the Real Economy: Using Firm-level Data to Identify Transmission Channels," NBER Working Papers 17360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ari Aisen & Roberto Álvarez & Andrés Sagner & Javier Turén, 2011.
"Credit Contraction and International Trade: Evidence from Chilean Exporters,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
639, Central Bank of Chile.
- Aisen, Ari & Álvarez, Roberto & Sagner, Andrés & Turén, Javier, 2013. "Credit contraction and international trade: Evidence from Chilean exporters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 212-224.
- Raddatz, Claudio, 2006.
"Liquidity needs and vulnerability to financial underdevelopment,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 677-722, June.
- Raddatz, Claudio, 2003. "Liquidity needs and vulnerability to financial udnerdevelopment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3161, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.