Pricing of Sovereign Credit Risk: Evidence from Advanced Economies During the Financial Crisis
AbstractWe investigate the pricing of sovereign credit risk over the period 2008-2010 for selected advanced economies by examining two widely-used indicators: sovereign credit default swap (CDS) and relative asset swap (RAS) spreads. Cointegration analysis suggests the existence of an imperfect market arbitrage relationship between the cash (RAS) and the derivatives (CDS) markets, with price discovery taking place in the latter. Likewise, panel regressions aimed at uncovering the fundamental drivers of the two indicators show that the CDS market, although less liquid, has provided a better signal for sovereign credit risk during the period of the recent financial crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/24.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- C. Emre Alper & Lorenzo Forni & Marc Gerard, 2013. "Pricing of Sovereign Credit Risk: Evidence from Advanced Economies during the Financial Crisis," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 161-188, 06.
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W. Marsh, 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of the Dynamic Relation between Investment-Grade Bonds and Credit Default Swaps," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2255-2281, October.
- Virginie Coudert & Mathieu Gex, 2013.
"The Interactions between the Credit Default Swap and the Bond Markets in Financial Turmoil,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 492-505, 08.
- Virginie Coudert & Mathieu Gex, 2011. "The Interactions Between the Credit Default Swap and the Bond Markets in Financial Turmoil," Working Papers 2011-02, CEPII research center.
- Miguel A. Segoviano Basurto & Carlos Caceres & Vincenzo Guzzo, 2010. "Sovereign Spreads: Global Risk Aversion, Contagion or Fundamentals?," IMF Working Papers 10/120, International Monetary Fund.
- Edda Zoli & Silvia Sgherri, 2009. "Euro Area Sovereign Risk During the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/222, International Monetary Fund.
- Joseph Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian Sack, 2010.
"Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?,"
441, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian Sack, 2011. "Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 41-59.
- Fontana, Alessandro & Scheicher, Martin, 2010. "An analysis of euro area sovereign CDS and their relation with government bonds," Working Paper Series 1271, European Central Bank.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2010. "The large scale asset purchases had large international effects," Working Papers 2010-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Norden, Lars & Weber, Martin, 2004. "The comovement of credit default swap, bond and stock markets: An empirical analysis," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/20, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Daniel Kapp, 2012. "The optimal size of the European Stability Mechanism: A cost-benefit analysis," DNB Working Papers 349, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Laura Jaramillo & Carlo Cottarelli, 2012. "Walking Hand in Hand: Fiscal Policy and Growth in Advanced Economies," IMF Working Papers 12/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique Alberola & Luis Molina & Pedro del Río, 2012. "Boom-bust cycles, imbalances and discipline in Europe," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1220, Banco de Espa�a.
- Patrick Augustin, 2012. "Sovereign Credit Default Swap Premia," Working Papers 12-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Elif Arbatli & C. Emre Alper & Jiri Jonas & Anke Weber & Marc Gerard & Tidiane Kinda & Giovanni Callegari & Anna Shabunina & Andrea Schaechter & Carlos Caceres, 2012. "A Toolkit for Assessing Fiscal Vulnerabilities and Risks in Advanced Economies," IMF Working Papers 12/11, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.