Accelerating And Sustaining Growth: Economic and Political Lessons
AbstractThe paper reviews and draws lessons from the experience of fast growing economies including a sub-set of these termed High Growth Economies (HGEs) with a decadal rate of over 7 per cent. It then reviews the history of the Indian growth acceleration following the reforms of the 1990s and its future prospects given the recent slowdown. It analysis the potential dangers and reasons for India’s growth slowdown and proposes policy reforms for sustaining fast growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/185.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & Antonio Rangel, 1998.
"Adjusting to a New Technology: Experience and Training,"
NBER Working Papers
6551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Rangel, Antonio, 1999. " Adjusting to a New Technology: Experience and Training," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 359-83, December.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Rangel, Antonio, 1998. "Adjusting to a New Technology: Experience and Training," CEPR Discussion Papers 1930, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Helpman, E. & Rangel, A., 1998. "Adjusting to a New Technology: Experience and Training," Papers 07-98, Tel Aviv.
- Elhanan Helpman & Antonio Rangel, 1998. "Adjusting to a New Technology: Experience and Training," Working Papers 99002, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Elhanan Helpman & Antonio Rangel, 1998. "Adjusting to a New Technology: Experience and Training," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1833, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Arvind Virmani & Danish A Hashim, 2011. "J-Curve of Productivity and Growth: Indian Manufacturing Post-Liberalization," IMF Working Papers 11/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Jerzmanowski, Michal, 2006. "Empirics of hills, plateaus, mountains and plains: A Markov-switching approach to growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 357-385, December.
- Arvind Virmani, 2006. "India's Economic Growth History: Fluctuations, Trends, Break Points and Phases," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 41(1), pages 81-103, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.