Intertwined Sovereign and Bank Solvencies in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Crisis
AbstractLarge fiscal financing needs, both in advanced and emerging market economies, have often been met by borrowing heavily from domestic banks. As public debt approached sustainability limits in a number of countries, however, high bank exposure to sovereign risk created a fragile inter-dependence between fiscal and bank solvency. This paper presents a simple model of twin (sovereign and banking) crisis that stresses how this interdependence creates conditions conducive to a self-fulfilling crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/178.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-08-23 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-08-23 (Central Banking)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2012.
"Gambling for redemption and self-fulfilling debt crises,"
Staff Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
465, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Timothy Kehoe & Juan Carlos Conesa, 2012. "Gambling for Redemption and Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises," 2012 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 614, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Enders, Zeno & Kollmann, Robert & Müller, Gernot, 2010.
"Global Banking and International Business Cycles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
7972, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Kollmann & Zeno Enders & Gernot J. Müller, 2010. "Global Banking and International Business Cycles," Working Papers ECARES, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles ECARES 2010-028, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert Kollmann & Zeno Enders & Gernot J. Mueller, 2011. "Global banking and international business cycles," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas 72, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Robert KOLLMANN, 2011. "Global Banking and International Business Cycles," 2011 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 20, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ueda, Kozo, 2012. "Banking globalization and international business cycles: Cross-border chained credit contracts and financial accelerators," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16.
- Gunes Kamber & Christoph Thoenissen, 2011.
"Financial intermediation and the internationalbusiness cycle: The case of small countries with big banks,"
CAMA Working Papers
2011-22, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Gunes Kamber & Christoph Thoenissen, 2013. "Financial exposure and the international transmission of financial shocks," CAMA Working Papers 2013-39, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Gunes Kamber & Christoph Thoenissen, 2011. "Financial intermediation and the international business cycle: The case of small countries with big banks," CDMA Working Paper Series, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis 201108, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992. "Financial Reforms in Latin America: The Cases of Argentina, Chile and Uruguay," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo., Universidad del CEMA 84, Universidad del CEMA.
- Cristina Arellano & Juan Carlos Conesa & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2012. "Chronic sovereign debt crises in the Eurozone, 2010-2012," Economic Policy Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis 12-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Steven Riess Weisbrod & Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez, 1994. "Financial Market Fragilities in Latin America," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 94/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Bennett Sutton & Luis CatÃ£o, 2002. "Sovereign Defaults," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 02/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Afonso S. Bevilaqua & Márcio Gomes Pinto Garcia, 1999. "Banks, domestic debt intermediation and confidence crises: the recent Brazilian experience," Textos para discussÃ£o, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) 407, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Lawson, Cornelia & Soós,Sándor, 2014. "A Thematic Mobility Measure for Econometric Analysis," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers, University of Turin 201408, University of Turin.
- Serkan Arslanalp & Takahiro Tsuda, 2012. "Tracking Global Demand for Advanced Economy Sovereign Debt," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 12/284, International Monetary Fund.
- Sau, Lino, 2014. "Debt Deflation Worries: a Restatement," CESMEP Working Papers, University of Turin 201402, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.