Credit Growth and the Effectiveness of Reserve Requirements and Other Macroprudential Instruments in Latin America
AbstractOver the past decade policy makers in Latin America have adopted a number of macroprudential instruments to manage the procyclicality of bank credit dynamics to the private sector and contain systemic risk. Reserve requirements, in particular, have been actively employed. Despite their widespread use, little is known about their effectiveness and how they interact with monetary policy. In this paper, we examine the role of reserve requirements and other macroprudential instruments and report new cross-country evidence on how they influence real private bank credit growth. Our results show that these instruments have a moderate and transitory effect and play a complementary role to monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/142.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-07-08 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-07-08 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2012-07-08 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-07-08 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Glocker & Pascal Towbin, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Effects Of Reserve Requirements," EcoMod2012 3850, EcoMod.
- Christian Glocker & Pascal Towbin, 2012.
"Reserve Requirements for Price and Financial Stability: When Are They Effective?,"
International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 8(1), pages 65-114, March.
- Glocker, C. & Towbin, P., 2012. "Reserve Requirements for Price and Financial Stability - When Are They Effective?," Working papers, Banque de France 363, Banque de France.
- Reinhart, Carmen M & Reinhart, Vincent R, 1999.
"On the Use of Reserve Requirements in Dealing with Capital Flow Problems,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1999. "On the use of reserve requirements in dealing with capital flow problems," MPRA Paper 13703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- R. Gaston Gelos, 2009.
"Banking Spreads In Latin America,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 47(4), pages 796-814, October.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Policy Instruments to Lean Against the Wind in Latin America," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 11/159, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlos Montoro & Ramon Moreno, 2011. "The use of reserve requirements as a policy instrument in Latin America," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Macroprudential Policy," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 11/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Glocker, Ch. & Towbin P., 2012.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Reserve Requirements,"
Working papers, Banque de France
374, Banque de France.
- Leon, David & Quispe, Zenon, 2010. "El encaje como instrumento no convencional de Política Monetaria," Revista Moneda, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 143, pages 8-16.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2012. "Sudden Floods, Prudential Regulation and Stability in an Open Economy," Working Papers Series, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department 267, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Carrera, Cesar & Vega, Hugo, 2012. "Interbank Market and Macroprudential Tools in a DSGE Model," Working Papers, Banco Central de Reserva del PerÃº 2012-014, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Patrick A. Imam & Erlend Nier & Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come, 2012. "Building Blocks for Effective Macroprudential Policies in Latin America," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 12/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Renzo Rossini & Zenon Quispe & Enrique Serrano, 2013.
"Foreign exchange intervention in Peru,"
BIS Papers chapters, Bank for International Settlements,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Sovereign risk: a world without risk-free assets?, volume 73, pages 243-262
Bank for International Settlements.
- Rossini, Renzo & Quispe, Zenón & Serrano, Enrique, 2013. "Foreign Exchange Interventions in Peru," Working Papers, Banco Central de Reserva del PerÃº 2013-016, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2012. "Operationalising the selection and application of macroprudential instruments," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48.
- Tito Cordella & Pablo M. Federico & Carlos A. Vegh & Guillermo Vuletin, 2014. "Reserve Requirements in the Brave New Macroprudential World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 17584, August.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2013. "Inflation Targeting and Financial Stability: A Perspective from the Developing World," Working Papers Series, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department 324, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Jerome Vandenbussche & Ursula Vogel & Enrica Detragiache, 2012. "Macroprudential Policies and Housing Price," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 12/303, International Monetary Fund.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner & Ilhyock Shim, 2013.
"Can Non-Interest Rate Policies Stabilize Housing Markets? Evidence from a Panel of 57 Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
19723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth N Kuttner & Ilhyock Shim, 2013. "Can non-interest rate policies stabilise housing markets? Evidence from a panel of 57 economies," BIS Working Papers 433, Bank for International Settlements.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Evridiki Tsounta, 2012. "To Cut or Not to Cut? That is the (Central Bankâ€™s) Question In Search of the Neutral Interest Rate in Latin America," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 12/243, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.