Bank credit, asset prices and financial stability: Evidence from French banks
AbstractThis paper analyses the effect of asset prices on credit growth in France and tries to disentangle credit demand and supply factors, both for the whole 1993-2010 period and during periods of financial instability. Using bank-level panel data at a quarterly frequency, stock price growth is shown to have a significant effect on lending growth over the whole period, but without credit supply factors being singled out. By contrast, housing price growth has a significant effect during periods of financial instability only, even after controlling for credit demand effects. These results show that credit demand factors do play a large role but also provide evidence of tighter credit constraints on households in financial instability periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/103.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-05-15 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2012-05-15 (European Economics)
- NEP-FDG-2012-05-15 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Nan-Kuang, 2001. "Bank net worth, asset prices and economic activity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 415-436, October.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2007.
"Securitisation and the bank lending channel,"
Working Paper Series
0838, European Central Bank.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David MarquÃ©s, 2007. "Securitisation and the bank lending channel," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 653, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques, 2008. "Securitization and the bank lending channel," Proceedings 1101, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2012.
"The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(6), pages 2381-2409, October.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2010. "The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment," NBER Working Papers 16060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Frömmel & Torsten Schmidt, 2006.
"Bank Lending and Asset Prices in the Euro Area,"
RWI Discussion Papers
0042, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Frömmel, Michael & Schmidt, Torsten, 2006. "Bank Lending and Asset Prices in the Euro Area," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-342, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Coffinet, J. & Coudert, V. & Pop, A. & Pouvelle, C., 2011. "Two-way interplays between capital buffers, credit and output: evidence from French banks," Working papers 316, Banque de France.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2006. "Le rôle des garanties dans les prêts des banques françaises," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(4), pages 501-522.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.