The Real Effects of Financial Sector Interventions During Crises
AbstractWe collect new data to assess the importance of supply-side credit market frictions by studying the impact of financial sector recapitalization packages on the growth performance of firms in a large cross-section of 50 countries during the recent crisis. We develop an identification strategy that uses the financial crisis as a shock to credit supply and exploits exogenous variation in the degree to which firms depend on external financing for investment needs, and focus on policy interventions aimed at alleviating the bank capital crunch. We find that the growth of firms dependent on external financing is disproportionately positively affected by bank recapitalization policies, and that this effect is quantitatively important and robust to controlling for other financial sector support policies. We also find that fiscal policy disproportionately boosted growth of firms more dependent on external financing. These results provide new evidence of a quantitatively important role of credit market frictions in influencing real economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/45.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Luc Laeven & Fabián Valencia, 2013. "The Real Effects of Financial Sector Interventions during Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(1), pages 147-177, 02.
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-04-02 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2011-04-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FDG-2011-04-02 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2011-04-02 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, May.
- Stijn Claessens & Hui Tong & Shang-Jin Wei, 2011.
"From the Financial Crisis to the Real Economy: Using Firm-level Data to Identify Transmission Channels,"
NBER Working Papers
17360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claessens, Stijn & Tong, Hui & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2012. "From the financial crisis to the real economy: Using firm-level data to identify transmission channels," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 375-387.
- Kollmann, Robert & Ratto, Marco & Roeger, Werner & in′t Veld, Jan, 2013.
"Fiscal policy, banks and the financial crisis,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 387-403.
- Robert Kollmann & Marco Ratto & Werner Roeger & Jan in'tVeld, 2012. "Fiscal Policy, Banks and the Financial Crisis," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-034, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- In''t Veld, Jan & Kollmann, Robert & Ratto, Marco & Roeger, Werner, 2012. "Fiscal Policy, Banks and the Financial Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9175, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Kollmann & Marco Ratto & Werner Roeger & Jan in't Veld, 2012. "Fiscal policy, banks and the financial crisis," Working Paper Research 234, National Bank of Belgium.
- Robert Kollmann & Marco Ratto & Werner Roeger & Jan in't Veld, 2012. "Fiscal Policy, Banks and the Financial Crisis," European Economy - Economic Papers 464, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Enrique Mendoza & Marco Terrones, 2012.
"An Anatomy of Credit Booms and their Demise,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
670, Central Bank of Chile.
- Levintal, Oren, 2013. "The real effects of banking shocks: Evidence from OECD countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 556-578.
- Mike Mariathasan & Ouarda Merrouche, 2012. "Recapitalization, credit and liquidity," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 27(72), pages 603-646, October.
- Robert Kollmann & Werner Roeger & Jan in'tVeld, 2012.
"Fiscal Policy in a Financial Crisis: Standard Policy vs. Bank Rescue Measures,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2012-006, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kollmann, Robert & Roeger, Werner & Veld, Jan in't, 2012. "Fiscal Policy in a Financial Crisis: Standard Policy vs. Bank Rescue Measures," CEPR Discussion Papers 8829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Kollmann & Werner Roeger & Jan in'tVeld, 2012. "Fiscal Policy in a Financial Crisis: Standard Policy vs. Bank Rescue Measure," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-008, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Luc Laeven, 2011. "Banking Crises: A Review," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 17-40, December.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2008.
"The Use of Blanket Guarantees in Banking Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
08/250, International Monetary Fund.
- Allen, Franklin & Gu, Xian & Kowalewski, Oskar, 2012. "Financial crisis, structure and reform," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2960-2973.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.