The Determinants of Economic Growth in the Philippines: A New Look
AbstractThis paper uses a panel of 23 emerging markets for the period 1965ï¿½2008 to study the determinants of per capita GDP growth in the Philippines. The Philippines is an outlier in terms of agricultural exports, investment, research and development, population growth, and political uncertainty. Panel regressions reveal that these factors, along with the deficit, inflation, trade openness, the current account balance and the frequency of crisis episodes are siginificant determinants of growth. A growth index confirms that these determinants also capture the absolute and relative performance of each country over time and suggests that the Philippines has lacked a sustained period of relatively strong economic reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/288.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2012-01-18 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2012-01-18 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Magnoli Bocchi, Alessandro, 2008. "Rising growth, declining investment : the puzzle of the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4472, The World Bank.
- Ponciano S. Intal, Jr. & Ponciano S. Intal, Jr. & Ponciano S. Intal, Jr., 2008. "Sustaining the Philippine manufacturing sector," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 45(1), pages 15-48, June.
- Memon, Manzoor Hussain & Baig, Waqar Saleem & Ali, Muhammad, 2008. "Causal Relationship Between Exports and Agricultural GDP in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 11845, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P. J. Dawson, 2005. "Agricultural exports and economic growth in less developed countries," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 145-152, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.