Evaluating Designs for a Fiscal Rule in Bulgaria
AbstractThe enhanced Stability and Growth Pact calls on euro area members and aspirants to set boundaries to fiscal deficits through high-level legislation. A limit on the deficit, such as the deficit ceiling in Bulgaria''s organic budget law, serves to protect solvency. The recent crisis clearly indicated that the key challenges are not only to contain the deficit but also to avoid a procyclical stance during upswings and to build a buffer for rainy days. Ideally, fiscal policymaking is guided by a fiscal rule that adapts through the economic cycle. This paper lays out the objectives of fiscal rules and analyzes how these objectives can be met in Bulgaria through either a growth-adjusted balance rule or an expenditure rule complemented by a deficit ceiling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/272.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1990.
"Equilibrium Political Budget Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 21-36, March.
- Xavier Debrun & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2007. "The Discipline-Enhancing Role of Fiscal Institutions," IMF Working Papers 07/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Xavier Debrun & Laurent Moulin & Alessandro Turrini & Joaquim Ayuso-i-Casals & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2008. "Tied to the mast? National fiscal rules in the European Union," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 297-362, 04.
- Eric M. Leeper, 2010.
"Monetary Science, Fiscal Alchemy,"
NBER Working Papers
16510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric M. Leeper, 2010. "Monetary science, fiscal alchemy," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 361-434.
- Alfred Sitz & Aneliya Adzhemova & Atanas Pekanov, 2013. "Bulgarien: wirtschaftspolitische Strategie und ökonomische Entwicklung seit der Öffnung," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 39(1), pages 69-86.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.