The Eurozone Crisis: How Banks and Sovereigns Came to be Joined at the Hip
AbstractWe use the rise and dispersion of sovereign spreads to tell the story of the emergence and escalation of financial tensions within the eurozone. This process evolved through three stages. Following the onset of the Subprime crisis in July 2007, spreads rose but mainly due to common global factors. The rescue of Bear Stearns in March 2008 marked the start of a distinctively European banking crisis. During this key phase, sovereign spreads tended to rise with the growing demand for support by weakening domestic financial sectors, especially in countries with lower growth prospects and higher debt burdens. As the constraint of continued fiscal commitments became clearer, and coinciding with the nationalization of Anglo Irish in January 2009, the separation between the sovereign and the financial sector disappeared.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/269.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ashoka Mody & Damiano Sandri, 2012. "The eurozone crisis: how banks and sovereigns came to be joined at the hip," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 27(70), pages 199-230, 04.
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-12-19 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-12-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-FDG-2011-12-19 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ejsing, Jacob & Lemke, Wolfgang, 2009. "The Janus-headed salvation: sovereign and bank credit risk premia during 2008-09," Working Paper Series 1127, European Central Bank.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"From Financial Crash to Debt Crisis,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1676-1706, August.
- Miguel A. Segoviano Basurto & Carlos Caceres & Vincenzo Guzzo, 2010. "Sovereign Spreads: Global Risk Aversion, Contagion or Fundamentals?," IMF Working Papers 10/120, International Monetary Fund.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Swanson, Eric T, 2007.
"Convergence and Anchoring of Yield Curves in the Euro Area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Refet S Güürkaynak & Eric T Swanson, 2011. "Convergence and Anchoring of Yield Curves in the Euro Area," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 350-364, February.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Swanson, Eric, 2007. "Convergence and anchoring of yield curves in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0817, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Refet S. Gürkaynak & Eric T. Swanson, 2007. "Convergence and anchoring of yield curves in the Euro area," Working Paper Series 2007-24, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Refet Gurkaynak & Marcel Fratzscher & Eric Swanson & Michael Ehrmann, 2009. "Convergence And Anchoring Of Yield Curves In The Euro Area," 2009 Meeting Papers 897, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Edda Zoli & Silvia Sgherri, 2009. "Euro Area Sovereign Risk During the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/222, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Alberto Martin & Stefano Rossi, 2009.
"Sovereign default, domestic banks and financial institutions,"
Economics Working Papers
1170, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 2012.
- Gennaioli, Nicola & Martin, Alberto & Rossi, Stefano, 2010. "Sovereign Default, Domestic Banks and Financial Institutions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7955, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Alberto Martin & Stefano Rossi, 2012. "Sovereign Default, Domestic Banks, and Financial Institutions," Working Papers 462, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Alberto Mart�n & Stefano Rossi, 2012. "Sovereign Default, Domestic Banks and Financial Institutions," Working Papers 622, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Vincent Reinhart, 2011. "A Year of Living Dangerously: The Management of the Financial Crisis in 2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 71-90, Winter.
- Lorenzo Codogno & Carlo Favero & Alessandro Missale, 2003. "Yield spreads on EMU government bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 503-532, October.
- Zacharias Bragoudakis & Dimitrios Sideris, 2012. "Do retail gasoline prices adjust symmetrically to crude oil price changes? the case of the Greek oil market," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 7-21, December.
- Betz, Frank & Oprica, Silviu & Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Sarlin, Peter, 2013. "Predicting distress in European banks," Working Paper Series 1597, European Central Bank.
- Bicu Andreea & Candelon Bertrand, 2012. "On the importance of indirect banking vulnerabilities in the Eurozone," Research Memoranda 033, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Conefrey, Thomas & Cronin, David, 2013. "Spillover in Euro Area Sovereign Bond Markets," Research Technical Papers 05/RT/13, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Petros M. Migiakis, 2012. "Reviewing the proposals for common bond issuances by the euro-area sovereign under a long-term perspective," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 43-54, December.
- Jan Babecký & Tomáš Havránek & Jakub Mateju & Marek Rusnák & Katerina Šmídková & Borek Vašícek, 2012.
"Banking, Debt, and Currency Crises: Early Warning Indicators for Developed Countries,"
Working Papers IES
2012/20, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2012.
- Babecký, Jan & Havránek, Tomáš & Matějů, Jakub & Rusnák, Marek & Šmídková, Kateřina & Vašíček, Bořek, 2012. "Banking, debt and currency crises: early warning indicators for developed countries," Working Paper Series 1485, European Central Bank.
- Philip R. Lane, 2012. "The European Sovereign Debt Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 49-68, Summer.
- Kohonen, Anssi, 2013. "On detection of volatility spillovers in overlapping stock markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 140-158.
- Adrian Van Rixtel & Gabriele Gasperini, 2013. "Financial crises and bank funding: recent experience in the euro area," BIS Working Papers 406, Bank for International Settlements.
- Kohonen, Anssi, 2012. "Transmission of Government Default Risk in the Eurozone," MPRA Paper 43823, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "The Size and structure of uninsured employment," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 23-41, December.
- Alexandra ADAM & Silvia Elena IACOB, 2012. "Consequences and possible solutions of financial crisis," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 0(12(577)), pages 142-148, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.