Financial Integration and Rebalancing in Asia
AbstractThe paper shows that Asia's degree of financial integration, both with the world and within the region remains low by various measures. The paper also provides empirical evidence that greater financial integration can support economic rebalancing in statistically meaningful ways. The implication is that in the debate on managing capital inflows the longer-term benefits of financial openness for broader-based growth should not be forgotten.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/243.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2011-11-28 (International Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2011-11-28 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaewoo Lee & Jonathan David Ostry & Alessandro Prati & Luca Antonio Ricci & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2008. "Exchange Rate Assessments: CGER Methodologies," IMF Occasional Papers 261, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2009.
"Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2010. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers," IMF Working Papers 10/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2010. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers," CEPR Discussion Papers 7694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram Rajan, 2008.
"A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
14051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 149-72, Summer.
- Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram G., 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," IZA Discussion Papers 3475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alicia García-Herrero & Philip Wooldridge & Doo Yong Yang, 2009.
"Why Don't Asians Invest in Asia? The Determinants of Cross-Border Portfolio Holdings,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 8(3), pages 228-246, October.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Philip Woolbridge & Doo Yong Yang, 2009. "Why don't Asians invest in Asia. The determinants of cross-border portfolio holdings," Working Papers 0908, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002.
"A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit,"
NBER Working Papers
9285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2004. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default, and Credit," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 50-63, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A gravity model of sovereign lending: trade, default and credit," Working Paper Series 2002-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Peter Isard, 2007. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates: Assessment Methodologies," IMF Working Papers 07/296, International Monetary Fund.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- repec:fip:fedfap:2002-09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olaf Unteroberdoerster & Cynthia Leung, 2008. "Hong Kong SAR as a Financial Center for Asia: Trends and Implications," IMF Working Papers 08/57, International Monetary Fund.
- Julian di Giovanni & Contact: email@example.com, 2003.
"What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening,"
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2005. "What drives capital flows? The case of cross-border M&A activity and financial deepening," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 127-149, January.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2002. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt7nq6d7wp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Edison, Hali J. & Levine, Ross & Ricci, Luca & Slok, Torsten, 2002.
"International financial integration and economic growth,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 749-776, November.
- Torsten SlÃ¸k & Hali J. Edison & Luca Antonio Ricci & Ross Levine, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 02/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Hali J. Edison & Ross Levine & Luca Ricci & Torsten Slok, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abiad, Abdul & Oomes, Nienke & Ueda, Kenichi, 2008.
"The quality effect: Does financial liberalization improve the allocation of capital?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 270-282, October.
- Abdul Abiad & Nienke Oomes & Kenichi Ueda, 2004. "The Quality Effect: Does Financial Liberalization Improve the Allocation of Capital?," IMF Working Papers 04/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Did financial liberalization ease financing constraints? Evidence from Indian firm-level data," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 176-190, June.
- SÃƒÂ©verine Blaise, 2009. "Japanese Aid as a Prerequisite for FDI : The Case of Southeast Asian Countries," Finance Working Papers 22767, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Séverine Blaise, 2009. "Japanese aid as a prerequisite for FDI: the case of Southeast Asian countries," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 385, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Shin, Kwanho, 2006.
"Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia,"
695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soyoung Kim & Jong-Wha Lee & Kwanho Shin, 2006. "Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series 0602, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Mahmood Pradhan & Shanaka J. Peiris & Mangal Goswami & Dulani Seneviratne & Joshua Felman & Andreas Jobst & Simon Gray, 2011. "ASEAN5 Bond Market Development: Where Does it Stand? Where is it Going?," IMF Working Papers 11/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Schindler, 2009. "Measuring Financial Integration: A New Data Set," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 222-238, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.