Global Economic Governance: IMF Quota Reform
AbstractThe paper examines the principles on which a reform of a Quota based global economic institution like the IMF must be based, taking account of both the relative economic power of countries and the need for voice and representation of the poor countries. These principles are then used in the context of the global economic realities of the 21st century to examine the suitability of different variables in the IMF.s Quota formula. Based on this analysis a simple transparent formula is suggested, which will help increase the credibility and legitimacy of the IMF as a global macroeconomic and financial institution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/208.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Arvind Virmani, 2012. "Global economic governance: IMF quota reform," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 260-280, October.
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-09-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MAC-2011-09-22 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard N. Cooper & Edwin M. Truman, 2007. "The IMF Quota Formula: Linchpin of Fund Reform," Policy Briefs PB07-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Dorota ¯uchowska, 2012. "The evolution of the contemporary international monetary system – integration or disintegration?," Ekonomia i Prawo, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 3, pages 13-30.
- repec:tru:umkeip:2012:v3:p:13-30 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.