Foreign Exchange Intervention: A Shield Against Appreciation Winds?
AbstractThis paper examines foreign exchange intervention practices and their effectiveness using a new qualitative and quantitative database for a panel of 15 economies covering 2004 - 10, with special focus on Latin America. Qualitatively, it examines institutional aspects such as declared motives, instruments employed, the use of rules versus discretion, and the degree of transparency. Quantitatively, it assesses the effectiveness of sterilized interventions in influencing the exchange rate using a two-stage IV-panel data approach to overcome endogeneity bias. Results suggest that interventions slow the pace of appreciation, but the effects decrease rapidly with the degree of capital account openness. At the same time, interventions are more effective in the context of already ï¿½overvalued' exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/165.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-08-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2011-08-22 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2011-08-22 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004.
"Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention under Public Information: The Chilean Case,"
Journal of LACEA Economia,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004. "Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention Under Public Information: the Chilean Case," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 255, Central Bank of Chile.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Jonathan David Ostry & Marcos Chamon & Luc Laeven & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Annamaria Kokenyne, 2011.
"Managing Capital Inflows: What Tools to Use?,"
IMF Staff Discussion Notes
11/06, International Monetary Fund.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Hernán Rincón & Jorge Toro, 2010.
"Are Capital Controls and Central Bank Intervention Effective?,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007622, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hernán Rincón & Jorge Toro, . "Are Capital Controls and Central Bank Intervention Effective?," Borradores de Economia 625, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Camilo Ernesto Tovar Mora & Pedro Castro & Gustavo Adler, 2012. "Does Central Bank Capital Matter for Monetary Policy?," IMF Working Papers 12/60, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen Broto, 2012. "The effectiveness of forex interventions in four Latin American countries," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1226, Banco de Espa�a.
- Willy Chetwin & Tim Ng & Daan Steenkamp, 2013. "New Zealand’s short- and medium-term real exchange rate volatility: drivers and policy implications," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Analytical Notes series AN2013/03, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Olivier Jeanne, 2012.
"Capital Account Policies and the Real Exchange Rate,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2012, pages 7-42
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jeanne, 2012. "Capital Account Policies and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 18404, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jeanne, . "Capital Account Policies and the Real Exchange Rate," Working Paper Series WP12-14, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Augusto de la Torre & Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Samuel Pienknagura, . "Latin America’s Deceleration and the Exchange Rate Buffer : LAC Semiannual Report, October 2013," World Bank Other Operational Studies 16107, The World Bank.
- Menkhoff, Lukas, 2012. "Foreign Exchange Intervention in Emerging Markets: A Survey of Empirical Studies," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-498, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.