The Development of Local Debt Markets in Asia
AbstractThe paper makes an assessment of the progress made in developing local debt markets in emerging Asia. Market development has been limited by hurdles confronting borrowers and lenders, current and potential liquidity providers, and insufficient support from government policies and regulations. Besides fostering a credit culture to deepen local debt markets, the issue of critical size can be addressed through an integrated regional market for local currency bonds that provides greater scale, efficiency, and access. With rapid economic growth in Asia, a key challenge is to generate financial assets that can provide the underlying collateral for expanding fixed-income markets, and hence domestic and regional investment opportunities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/132.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralph Chami & Sunil Sharma & Connel Fullenkamp, 2009.
"A Framework for Financial Market Development,"
IMF Working Papers
09/156, International Monetary Fund.
- Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp & Sunil Sharma, 2010. "A framework for financial market development," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 107-135.
- Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp & Sunil Sharma, 2010. "A framework for financial market development," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 107-135.
- Lejot , Paul & Arner, Douglas & Schou-Zibell, Lotte, 2008. "Securitization in East Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 12, Asian Development Bank.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Guonan Ma & Eli Remolona, 2006. "Developing corporate bond markets in Asia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Developing corporate bond markets in Asia, volume 26, pages 13-21 Bank for International Settlements.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006.
"Local Currency Bond Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aaron Mehrotra & Ken Miyajima & Agustin Villar, 2012. "Developments of domestic government bond markets in EMEs and their implications," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Fiscal policy, public debt and monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 67, pages 31-50 Bank for International Settlements.
- Ilhyock Shim, 2012. "Development of Asia-Pacific corporate bond and securitisation markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Weathering financial crises: bond markets in Asia and the Pacific, volume 63, pages 5-14 Bank for International Settlements.
- Yong Sarah Zhou, 2013. "Explaining ASEAN-3â€™s Investment Puzzle A Tale of Two Sectors," IMF Working Papers 13/13, International Monetary Fund.
- Ken Miyajima & Madhusudan Mohanty & Tracy Chan, 2012. "Emerging market local currency bonds: diversification and stability," BIS Working Papers 391, Bank for International Settlements.
- Philip Turner, 2012. "Weathering financial crisis: domestic bond markets in EMEs," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Weathering financial crises: bond markets in Asia and the Pacific, volume 63, pages 15-34 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.