A New Action-based Dataset of Fiscal Consolidation
AbstractThis paper presents a new dataset of fiscal consolidation for 17 OECD economies during 1978-2009. We focus on discretionary changes in taxes and government spending primarily motivated by a desire to reduce the budget deficit and not by a response to prospective economic conditions. To identify the motivation and budgetary impact of the fiscal policy changes, we examine contemporaneous policy documents, including Budgets, Budget Speeches, central bank reports, Convergence and Stability Programs submitted by the authorities to the European Commission, and IMF and OECD reports. The resulting series can be used to estimate the macroeconomic effects of fiscal consolidation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 11/128.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2011-07-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2011-07-02 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolswijk, Guido, 2007. "Short- and long-run tax elasticities: the case of the Netherlands," Working Paper Series 0763, European Central Bank.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 2007.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Tax Changes: Estimates Based on a New Measure of Fiscal Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
13264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 2010. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Tax Changes: Estimates Based on a New Measure of Fiscal Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 763-801, June.
- Flodén, Martin, 2012.
"A Role Model for the Conduct of Fiscal Policy? Experiences from Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flodén, Martin, 2013. "A role model for the conduct of fiscal policy? Experiences from Sweden," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 177-197.
- Jacopo Cimadomo & Sebastian Hauptmeier & Tom Zimmermann, 2012.
"Fiscal Consolidations and Banking Stability,"
2012-32, CEPII research center.
- Manuel Coutinho Pereira & Lara Wemans, 2013. "The macroeconomic effects of legislated tax changes in Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Viren, Matti, 2013. "Sensitivity of fiscal-policy effects to policy coordination and business cycle conditions," Research Discussion Papers 11/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Joachim Voth, 2011.
"Austerity and anarchy: Budget cuts and social unrest in Europe, 1919-2008,"
Economics Working Papers
1342, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2012.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2012. "Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919-2008," Working Papers 676, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ponticelli, Jacopo & Voth, Hans-Joachim, 2011. "Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919-2008," CEPR Discussion Papers 8513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oliver de Groot & Fédéric Holm-Hadulla & Nadine Leiner-Killinger, 2013.
"Cost of borrowing shocks and fiscal adjustment,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2013-59, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hellebrandt, T. & Posen, A.S. & Tolle, M., 2012.
"Does monetary cooperation or confrontation lead to successful fiscal consolidation?,"
Financial Stability Review,
Banque de France, issue 16, pages 131-142, April.
- Tomas Hellebrandt & Adam S. Posen & Marilyne Tolle, 2012. "Does Monetary Cooperation or Confrontation Lead to Successful Fiscal Consolidation?," Policy Briefs PB12-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo & Hanson, Jesper, 2012. "Budgetary consolidation under different exchange rate regimes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 912-916.
- David Lodge & Marta Rodriguez-Vives, 2013. "How long can austerity persist? The factors that sustain fiscal consolidations," European Journal of Government and Economics, Europa Grande, vol. 2(1), pages 5-24, June.
- Boris Cournède & Antoine Goujard & Álvaro Pina, 2013. "How to Achieve Growth- and Equity-friendly Fiscal Consolidation?: A Proposed Methodology for Instrument Choice with an Illustrative Application to OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1088, OECD Publishing.
- John Taylor & John Cogan & Volker Wieland & Maik Wolters, 2012.
"Fiscal Consolidation Strategy,"
11-015, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Cogan, John F. & Taylor, John B. & Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik H., 2012. "Fiscal consolidation strategy," CFS Working Paper Series 2012/12, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Cogan, John F. & Taylor, John B. & Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik H, 2012. "Fiscal Consolidation Strategy," CEPR Discussion Papers 9041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cimadomo, Jacopo & Hauptmeier, Sebastian & Zimmermann, Tom, 2013. "Fiscal consolidations and bank balance sheets," Working Paper Series 1511, European Central Bank.
- Manuel Coutinho Pereira & Lara Wemans, 2013. "Output effects of a measure of tax shocks based on changes in legislation for Portugal," Working Papers w201315, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Shafik Hebous & Tom Zimmermann, 2013. "Cross-Border Effects of Fiscal Consolidations: Estimates Based on Narrative Records," CESifo Working Paper Series 4311, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luiz de Mello, 2013. "What Can Fiscal Policy Do in the Current Recession? A Review of Recent Literature and Policy Options," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 204(1), pages 113-139, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.