Competition and Firm Productivity
AbstractThis paper presents empirical evidence on the impact of competition on firm productivity. Using firm-level observations from the World Bank Enterprise Survey database, we find a positive and robust causal relationship between our proxies for competition and our measures of productivity. We also find that countries that implemented product-market reforms had a more pronounced increase in competition, and correspondingly, in productivity: the contribution to productivity growth due to competition spurred by product-market reforms is around 12-15 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/67.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-03-28 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2010-03-28 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2010-03-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sánchez-Valadez, Manuel, 2012. "Decisiones financieras, competencia en el mercado y desempeño de las empresas: Evidencia empírica para Iberoamérica/Financial Decisions, Market Competition and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 359 (36 pag, Abril.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2011.
"Plant-level determinants of total factor productivity in Great Britain, 1997-2006,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
33561, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2011. "Plant-level Determinants of Total Factor Productivity in Great Britain, 1997-2006," SERC Discussion Papers 0064, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Daveri, F. & Lecat, R. & Parisi , M L., 2011.
"Service deregulation, competition and the performance of French and Italian firms,"
346, Banque de France.
- Francesco Daveri & Rèmy Lecat & Maria Laura Parisi, 2013. "Service deregulation, competition and the performance of French and Italian firms," Working Papers 3, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Gnidchenko, Andrey, 2011.
"Моделирование Технологических И Институциональных Эффектов В Макроэкономическом Прогнозировании
[Technologica," MPRA Paper 35484, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2011.
- Tibor Lalinsky, 2013. "Firm competitiveness determinants: results of a panel data analysis," Working and Discussion Papers WP 4/2013, Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.