On the Solvency of Nations: Are Global Imbalances Consistent with Intertemporal Budget Constraints?
AbstractTheory predicts that a nation's stochastic intertemporal budget constraint is satisfied if net exports (NX) and net foreign assets (NFA) satisfy an error-correction specification with a residual integrated of any finite order. We test this hypothesis using data for 21 industrial and 29 emerging economies for the 1970-2004 period to search for existence of negative relationship between NX and NFA. The results show that, despite the large global imbalances of recent years, NX and NFA positions are consistent with external solvency. Pooled Mean Group error-correction estimation yields evidence of a statistically significant, negative response of the NX-GDP ratio to the NFA-GDP ratio that is largely homogeneous across countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/50.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ceyhun Bora Durdu & Enrique G. Mendoza & Marco E. Terrones, 2009. "On the solvency of nations: are global imbalances consistent with intertemporal budget constraints?," International Finance Discussion Papers 975, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-03-28 (Central Banking)
- NEP-OPM-2010-03-28 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2011.
"Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries,"
11-07, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Esteve, 2014. "Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(4), pages 441-449, February.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2013. "Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries," Working Papers 10/13, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2012. "Sustainability of external imbalances in the OECD countries," Working Papers 1201, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Camarero, Mariam & Carrion-i-Silvestre, Josep Lluís & Tamarit, Cecilio, 2013.
"Global imbalances and the intertemporal external budget constraint: A multicointegration approach,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5357-5372.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "Global imbalances and the Intertemporal External Budget Constraint: A multicointegration approach," Working Papers 1303, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Christian Schoder & Christian R. Proaño & Willi Semmler, 2012. "Are the current account imbalances between EMU countries sustainable?," IMK Working Paper 90-2012, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.