The Impact Of The Global Crisis on Canada: What Do Macro-Financial Linkages Tell Us?
AbstractThis paper builds a Bayesian VAR estimation model of growth for Canada, by focusing specifically on the role of external and domestic financial indicators, including credit conditions. A variance decomposition shows that financial conditions explain one-third of the total variability in Canada's real GDP growth, although changes in U.S. real GDP growth still account for a larger share of volatility in Canadian growth. A macro-financial conditions index built from the VAR's impulse responses shows that U.S. real GDP growth and lending standards will increasingly bear on Canada's growth, implying that a normalization of the U.S. economic and financial conditions is key for a sustained recovery in Canada.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/5.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-01-30 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2010-01-30 (Business Economics)
- NEP-FDG-2010-01-30 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2010-01-30 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lisandro Abrego & Pär Österholm, 2010.
"External Linkages and Economic Growth in Colombia: Insights from a Bayesian VAR Model,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(12), pages 1788-1810, December.
- PÃ¤r Ã–sterholm & Lisandro Abrego, 2008. "External Linkages and Economic Growth in Colombia: Insights from A Bayesian VAR Model," IMF Working Papers 08/46, International Monetary Fund.
- P&aauml;r �sterholm & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2008.
"The Effect of External Conditions on Growth in Latin America,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(4), pages 595-623, December.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & PÃ¤r Ã–sterholm, 2007. "The Effect of External Conditions on Growth in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 07/176, International Monetary Fund.
- Pär Österholm, 2008. "Can forecasting performance be improved by considering the steady state? An application to Swedish inflation and interest rate," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(1), pages 41-51.
- Mattias Villani, 2009. "Steady-state priors for vector autoregressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 630-650.
- Vladimir Klyuev, 2008. "Real Implications of Financial Linkages Between Canada and the United States," IMF Working Papers 08/23, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.