Current Account Balance Estimates for Emerging Market Economies
AbstractThis paper uses a modified version of the methodology used by the IMF''s Consultative Group on Exchange Rate Issues (CGER) to calculate equilibrium current account balances (or ?norms?) for a sample of 33 emerging market economies. We find that the fundamental determinants of the equilibrium current account balances are similar to those identified by the CGER using a sample that also comprises advanced economies. However, the fiscal balance has a considerably stronger impact on current account norms for emerging markets. This paper also offers estimates for the equilibrium current account balances of eleven smaller emerging market economies that are not currently included in the country sample used by the CGER.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/43.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2010-03-28 (International Finance)
- NEP-OPM-2010-03-28 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2000.
"The Transfer Problem Revisited: Net Foreign Assets and Real Exchange Rates,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
2511, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2004. "The Transfer Problem Revisited: Net Foreign Assets and Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 841-857, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2000. "The Transfer Problem Revisited: Net Foreign Assets and Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research 062000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Jesmin Rahman, 2008. "Current Account Developments in New Member States of the European Union," IMF Working Papers 08/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Russell Smyth, 2007. "Asia'S Booming Economies A Decade After The Crisis," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 26(3), pages 193-195, 09.
- Jaewoo Lee & Jonathan David Ostry & Alessandro Prati & Luca Antonio Ricci & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2008. "Exchange Rate Assessments," IMF Occasional Papers 261, International Monetary Fund.
- Anwar Nasution, 2007. "Global Savings-Investment Imbalances: What Role for East Asia?," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 6(2), pages 1-13, May.
- Irineu E. Carvalho Filho & Rudolfs Bems, 2009. "Exchange Rate Assessments," IMF Working Papers 09/281, International Monetary Fund.
- Ehsan U. Choudhri & Mohsin S. Khan, 2005. "Real Exchange Rates in Developing Countries: Are Balassa-Samuelson Effects Present?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(3), pages 2.
- Jungjin Lee & Abdul Abiad & Prakash Kannan, 2009. "Evaluating Historical CGER Assessments," IMF Working Papers 09/32, International Monetary Fund.
- Teresa Sastre & Francesca Viani, 2014. "Countries’ safety and competitiveness, and the estimation of current account misalignments," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1401, Banco de Espa�a.
- Hakan KARA & Çağrı SARIKAYA, 2013.
"Türkiye’de Konjonktürel Etkilerden Arındırılmış Cari İşlemler Dengesi,"
Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik,
Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 28(332), pages 09-32.
- Hakan Kara & Cagri Sarikaya, 2013. "Turkiye’de Konjonkturel Etkilerden Arindirilmis Cari Islemler Dengesi," Working Papers 1340, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Bernd Schnatz, 2011. "Global Imbalances And The Pretence Of Knowing Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 604-615, December.
- Paul Cashin & Samya Beidas-Strom, 2011. "Are Middle Eastern Current Account Imbalances Excessive?," IMF Working Papers 11/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Milan Nedeljkovic & Branko Uroševic & Emir Zildžovic, 2012. "Jackknife Model Averaging of the Current Account Determinants," Working papers, National Bank of Serbia 23, National Bank of Serbia.
- Danica Unevska Andonova & Branimir Jovanovic, 2011. "Sustainability of the Macedonian Current Account," Working Papers, National Bank of the Republic of Macedonia 2011-06, National Bank of the Republic of Macedonia.
- The SEACEN Centre, 2013. "Finding Asia’s New Sustainable Growth Model Post GFC: The Role of the Central Banks (Proceedings of High-Level Conference)," Research Studies, South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number rp91, June.
- Yin-Wong Cheung, 2012. "Exchange Rate Misalignment - The Case of the Chinese Renminbi," CESifo Working Paper Series 3797, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yıldız AKKAYA & Refet S. GÜRKAYNAK, 2012. "Cari açık, bütçe dengesi, finansal istikrar ve para politikası: Heyecanlı bir dönemin izi," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 27(315), pages 93-119.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.