Export versus FDI in services
AbstractIn the literature on exports and investment, most productive firms are seen to invest abroad. In the Helpman et al. (2004) model, costs of transportation play a critical role in the decision about whether to serve foreign customers by exporting, or by producing abroad. We consider the case of tradable services, where the marginal cost of transport is near zero. We argue that in the purchase of services, buyers face uncertainty about product quality, especially when production is located far away. Firm optimisation then leads less productive firms to self-select themselves for FDI. We test this prediction with data from the Indian software industry and find support for it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/290.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomiura, Eiichi, 2007.
"Foreign outsourcing, exporting, and FDI: A productivity comparison at the firm level,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 113-127, May.
- Eiichi Tomiura, 2005. "Foreign Outsourcing, Exporting, and FDI: A Productivity Comparison at the Firm Level," Discussion Paper Series 168, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kozo Kiyota, 2006. "Exports, FDI, and Productivity: Dynamic Evidence from Japanese Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 695-719, December.
- Sourafel Girma & David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2004. "Does Exporting Increase Productivity? A Microeconometric Analysis of Matched Firms," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 855-866, November.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella, 2005.
"The Globalization of the Software Industry: Perspectives and Opportunities for Developed and Developing Countries,"
in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 1-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella, 2004. "The Globalization of the Software Industry: Perspectives and Opportunities for Developed and Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 10538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik & Dilek Demirbas, 2010.
"Graduating to Globalisation: A Study of Southern Multinationals,"
- Demirbas, Dilek & Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2010. "Graduating to globalisation: A study of southern multinationals," Working Papers 10/65, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Dilek Demirbas & Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2010. "Graduating to Globalisation : A Study of Southern Multinationals," Finance Working Papers 21854, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- TANAKA Kiyoyasu, 2013. "Firm Heterogeneity and FDI in Distribution Services," Discussion papers 13027, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," IZA Discussion Papers 5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stefano Federico & Enrico Tosti, 2012. "Exporters and importers of services: firm-level evidence on Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 877, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Anders Isaksson & Florian Kaulich, 2013. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment, Exporting and Firm-Level Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," wiiw Working Papers 97, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"Exports, Foreign Direct Investments and Productivity: Are Services Firms Different?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6009, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "Exports, Foreign Direct Investments and Productivity: Are Services Firms different?," Working Paper Series in Economics 215, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2012.
"Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence from German Micro-Data,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3806, CESifo Group Munich.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2012. "Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence From German Micro-Data," Kiel Working Papers 1771, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kelle, Markus & Kleinert, Jörn & Raff, Horst & Toubal, Farid, 2012. "Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence From German Micro-Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 9016, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus Kelle & Jörn Kleinert & Horst Raff & Farid Toubal, 2012. "Cross-Border and Foreign-Affiliate Sales of Services: Evidence from German Micro-Data," Development Working Papers 335, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 16 Jul 2012.
- Paulo Júlio & Ricardo Pinheiro-Alves & José Tavares, 2011. "FDI and institutional reform in Portugal," GEE Papers 0040, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Sep 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.