Estimating Potential Output with a Multivariate Filter
AbstractThis paper develops a simple model for measuring potential output that uses data on inflation, unemployment, and capacity utilization. We apply the model to 10 countries, in addition to the United States and the euro area. While there is a substantial amount of uncertainty around our estimates, we find that the financial crisis has resulted in a reduction in potential output.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/285.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-01-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-01-03 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michal Andrle, 2013.
"Understanding DSGE Filters in Forecasting and Policy Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
13/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrle, Michal, 2012. "Understanding DSGE Filters in Forecasting and Policy Analysis," Dynare Working Papers 16, CEPREMAP.
- Tsasa Vangu, Jean-Paul Kimbambu, 2014. "Diagnostic de la politique monétaire en Rép. Dém. Congo – Approche par l’Equilibre Général Dynamique Stochastique," Dynare Working Papers 38, CEPREMAP.
- Correa-López, Mónica & Mingorance-Arnáiz, Ana Cristina, 2012. "Demografía, mercado de trabajo y tecnología: El patrón de crecimiento de Cataluña, 1970-2020/Demography, Labour Market and Technical Progress: The Pattern of Growth in Cataluña, 1970-2020," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 365 (34 pag, Abril.
- Michal Andrle, 2013. "What Is in Your Output Gap? Unified Framework & Decomposition into Observables," IMF Working Papers 13/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Miroslav Plašil, 2011. "Potential Product, Output Gap and Uncertainty Rate Associated with Their Determination while Using the Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(4), pages 490-507.
- Phurichai Rungcharoenkitkul, 2012. "Modeling with Limited Data," IMF Working Papers 12/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Task Force of the Monetary Policy Committee of the European System of Central Banks, 2012. "Euro area labour markets and the crisis," Occasional Paper Series 138, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.