The Transmission Mechanism in Armenia: New Evidence from a Regime Switching VAR Analysis
AbstractThe introduction of inflation targeting in 2006, together with important economic developments such as dedollarization, marked the beginning of a new macroeconomic framework in Armenia, which is likely to have changed the effectiveness of monetary policy. This paper is the first attempt to analyze whether the transmission mechanism in Armenia has been subject to a structural break by employing a Markov-Switching VAR framework. Results support the existence of such a structural break around the time inflation targeting was introduced and reduced levels of dollarization were observed. Results from introducing a threshold variable into this framework furthermore show that reduced levels of dollarization are an important determinant of the effectiveness of monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/270.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-01-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2011-01-03 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rania Al Mashat & Andreas Billmeier, 2008.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Egypt,"
411, Economic Research Forum, revised Jun 2008.
- Ippei Fujiwara, 2004.
"Evaluating Monetary Policy When Nominal Interest Rates Are Almost Zero,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
620, Econometric Society.
- Fujiwara, Ippei, 2006. "Evaluating monetary policy when nominal interest rates are almost zero," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 434-453, September.
- Luis Carranza & José E. Galdón-Sánchez & Javier Gómez Biscarri, 2004.
"Exchange Rate and Inflation Dynamics in Dollarized Economies,"
Faculty Working Papers
10/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Carranza, Luis & Galdon-Sanchez, Jose E. & Gomez-Biscarri, Javier, 2009. "Exchange rate and inflation dynamics in dollarized economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 98-108, May.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2003.
"Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model,"
Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 295-299, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Ehrmann-Ellison-Valla(2003) regime dependent impulse response," Statistical Software Components RTZ00177, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ehrmann , Michael & Ellison, Martin & Valla, Natacha, 2001. "Regime-dependent impulse response functions in a Markov-switching vector autoregression model," Research Discussion Papers 11/2001, Bank of Finland.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Modalities of Moving to Inflation Targeting in Armenia and Georgia," IMF Working Papers 07/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Hamilton, James D., 1990. "Analysis of time series subject to changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 39-70.
- Adrián Armas & Francisco Grippa, 2005. "Targeting Inflation in a Dollarized Economy: The Peruvian Experience," Research Department Publications 4423, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Prachi Mishra & Peter Montiel, 2012. "How Effective Is Monetary Transmission in Low-Income Countries? A Survey of the Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 12/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2012. "Channels of Monetary Transmission in the CIS," MPRA Paper 39568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mishra, Prachi & Montiel, Peter J & Spilimbergo, Antonio, 2011. "How Effective Is Monetary Transmission in Developing Countries? A Survey of the Empirical Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 8577, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Poghosyan, K. & Boldea, O., 2011.
"Structural versus Matching Estimation: Transmission Mechanisms in Armenia,"
2011-104, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Poghosyan, Karen & Boldea, Otilia, 2013. "Structural versus matching estimation: Transmission mechanisms in Armenia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 136-148.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.