Bilateral Financial Linkages and Global Imbalances: a View on The Eve of the Financial Crisis
AbstractWe present a novel and comprehensive dataset of bilateral gross and net external positions in various financial instruments for the main advanced and emerging economies and regions, designed to improve our understanding of cross-border financial linkages. The data show no strong correspondence between country or region pairs with the largest gross versus net external positions, and the importance of international financial centers, including offshore centers, in intermediating financial flows. We also highlight some important data gaps in completing a network of cross-border holdings, related to the limited available information on the size and geographical pattern of external claims and liabilities of offshore centers, oil exporters, and other mostly emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/257.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Strobbe, Francesco & Tamirisa, Natalia, 2010. "Bilateral Financial Linkages and Global Imbalances: A View on The Eve of the Financial Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8173, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Daude & Marcel Fratzscher, 2007.
"The pecking order of cross-border investment,"
CGFS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Research on global financial stability: the use of BIS international financial statistics, volume 29, pages 53-89
Bank for International Settlements.
- Alberto Felettigh & Paola Monti, 2008. "How to interpret the CPIS data on the distribution of foreign portfolio assets in the presence of sizeable cross-border positions in mutual funds. Evidence for Italy and the main euro-area countries," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 16, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Robert McCauley & Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2010. "The architecture of global banking: from international to multinational?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Robert McCauley, 2005. "Distinguishing global dollar reserves from official holdings in the United States," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Edwin M. Truman & Anna Wong, 2006. "The Case for an International Reserve Diversification Standard," Working Paper Series WP06-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "European Financial Linkages: A New Look at Imbalances," IMF Working Papers 10/295, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2011.
"A Decade of Debt,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey & Kai Truempler, 2011.
"The Financial Crisis and The Geography of Wealth Transfers,"
in: Global Financial Crisis
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène & Truempler, Kai, 2012. "The financial crisis and the geography of wealth transfers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 266-283.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey & Kai Truempler, 2011. "The Financial Crisis and The Geography of Wealth Transfers," NBER Working Papers 17353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène & Truempler, Kai Alexander, 2011. "The Financial Crisis and the Geography of Wealth Transfers," CEPR Discussion Papers 8567, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2011.
"Role Reversal in Global Finance,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar S. Prasad, 2011. "Role reversal in global finance," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 339-390.
- Gabriel Zucman, 2013.
"The Missing Wealth of Nations: Are Europe and the U.S. net Debtors or net Creditors?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 128(3), pages 1321-1364.
- Gabriel Zucman, 2012. "The missing wealth of nations: Are Europe and the U.S. net debtors or net creditors?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00565224, HAL.
- Hideaki Hirata & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2013.
"Regionalization vs. Globalization,"
IMF Working Papers
13/19, International Monetary Fund.
- Hideaki Hirata & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2013. "Regionalization vs. Globalization," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1302, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Hideaki Hirata & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2013. "Regionalization vs. Globalization," CAMA Working Papers 2013-09, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- HIRATA Hideaki & Ayhan KOSE & Christopher OTROK, 2013. "Regionalization vs. Globalization," Discussion papers 13004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Perri, Fabrizio, 2013.
"Global banks and crisis transmission,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 495-510.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, 2011. "Global Banks and Crisis Transmission," 2011 Meeting Papers 1376, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Elias Papaioannou & Fabrizio Perri, 2012. "Global Banks and Crisis Transmission," NBER Working Papers 18209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Perri, Fabrizio, 2012. "Global Banks and Crisis Transmission," CEPR Discussion Papers 9044, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emilio Espino & Julian Kozlowski & Juan M. Sánchez, 2013. "Regionalization vs. globalization," Working Papers 2013-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.