The Impact of the Great Recession on Emerging Markets
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of the recent global crisis on emerging market economies (EMs). Our cross-country analysis shows that the impact of the crisis was more pronounced in those EMs that had initial weaker fundamentals and greater financial and trade linkages. This effect is observed along a number of dimensions, such as growth, stock market performance, sovereign spreads, and credit growth. This paper also shows that during this crisis, pre-crisis reserve holdings helped to mitigate the initial growth collapse. This finding contrasts with other studies that fail to find a significant relationship between reserves and the growth decline. This paper argues that our preferred measure of impact is a more accurate reflection of the true impact of the crisis on EMs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/237.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2010-12-04 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2010-12-04 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "International Reserve Adequacy in Central America," IMF Working Papers 11/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Nenovski, Tome, 2012. "Lessons from world economic crises: cleaning, remodeling and harmonizing the economy," MPRA Paper 42249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- José Osler Alzate Mahecha, 2013. "Sudden stops in emerging markets: How to minimize their impact on GDP?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 010547, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Saravelo, George, 2011.
"Can Leading Indicators Assess Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Financial Crisis,"
5027952, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Saravelos, George, 2012. "Can leading indicators assess country vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008–09 global financial crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 216-231.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Saravelos, George, 2011. "Can Leading Indicators Assess Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Financial Crisis," Working Paper Series rwp11-024, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2010.
"Determinants of Financial Stress and Recovery during the Great Recession,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt5cf9t5cd, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Joshua Aizenman & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2011. "Determinants of Financial Stress and Recovery during the Great Recession," Working Papers 11-24, Bank of Canada.
- Joshua Aizenman & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2010. "Determinants of Financial Stress and Recovery during the Great Recession," NBER Working Papers 16605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Essers, Dennis, 2012. "Democracy and External Shock Resilience in Developing Countries. Evidence from the Great Recession," IOB Working Papers 2012.02, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Dominguez, Kathryn M.E. & Hashimoto, Yuko & Ito, Takatoshi, 2012.
"International reserves and the global financial crisis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 388-406.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Yuko Hashimoto & Takatoshi Ito, 2011. "International Reserves and the Global Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 17362, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Furceri, Davide & Zdzienicka, Aleksandra, 2012. "Banking Crises and Short and Medium Term Output Losses in Emerging and Developing Countries: The Role of Structural and Policy Variables," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(12), pages 2369-2378.
- Antonio Francisco A. Silva Jr, 2011. "The Self-insurance Role of International Reserves and the 2008-2010 Crisis," Working Papers Series 256, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Carlos Capistrán & Gabriel Cuadra & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2011. "Policy Response to External Shocks: Lessons from the Crisis," Working Papers 2011-14, Banco de México.
- Marcelo Bianconi & Joe A. Yoshino & Mariana O. Machado de Sousa, 2011. "BRIC and the U.S. Financial Crisis: An Empirical Investigation of Stocks and Bonds Markets," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0764, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Nenovski, Tome, 2012. "Post crisis Remodeling of the Economy for the Sustainable Growth of South Eastern European Countries," MPRA Paper 42257, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.