The Euroâ€™s Effect on Trade Imbalances
AbstractWhen does trade become a one-way relationship? We study bilateral trade balances for a sample of 18 European countries over the period from 1948 through 2008. We find that, with the introduction of the euro, trade imbalances among euro area members widened considerably, even after allowing for permanent asymmetries in trade competitiveness within pairs of countries or in the overall trade competitiveness of individual countries. This is consistent with indications that pair-wise trade tends to be more balanced when nominal exchange rates are flexible. Intra-euro area imbalances also seem to have become more persistent with the introduction of the euro, some of which is linked to labor market inflexibility. Reviewing the direction of imbalances, we find that bilateral trade surpluses are decreasing in the real exchange rate, decreasing in growth differentials, and increasing in the relative volatility of national business cycles. Finally, countries with relatively higher fiscal deficits and less flexible labor and product markets exhibit systematically lower trade surpluses than others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/226.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2010-10-30 (European Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-10-30 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ansgar Belke & Holger Zemanek & Gunther Schnabl, 2010.
"Current Account Balances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0176, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2010. "Current account balances and structural adjustment in the euro area," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 83-127, May.
- Samuel Kortum & Jonathan Eaton & Robert Dekle, 2007.
2007 Meeting Papers
921, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pietro Biroli & Gilles Mourre & Alessandro Turrini, 2010.
"Adjustment in the Euro Area and Regulation of Product and Labour Markets: An Empirical Assessment,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
428, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Biroli, Pietro & Mourre, Gilles & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2010. "Adjustment in the Euro Area and Regulation of Product and Labour Markets: An Empirical Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 8010, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Rubaszek, Michał, 2008.
"On the empirical evidence of the intertemporal current account model for the euro area countries,"
Working Paper Series
0895, European Central Bank.
- Michele Ca' Zorzi & Michał Rubaszek, 2012. "On the Empirical Evidence of the Intertemporal Current Account Model for the Euro Area Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 95-106, 02.
- Alan Ahearne & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 2005. "Global current account imbalances: how to manage the risk for Europe," Policy Briefs 231, Bruegel.
- Amelia Santos-Paulino & A. P. Thirlwall, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalisation on exports, imports and the balance of payments of developing countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F50-F72, 02.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Steve Golub & Dana Hajkova & Daniel Mirza & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2003. "Policies and International Integration: Influences on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 359, OECD Publishing.
- JÃ¶rg Decressin & Emil Stavrev, 2009. "Current Accounts in a Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 09/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Bussière, M. & Chudik, A. & Mehl, A., 2011.
"How have global shocks impacted the real effective exchange rates of individual euro area countries since the euro's creation?,"
336, Banque de France.
- Bussiere Matthieu & Chudik Alexander & Mehl Arnaud, 2013. "How have global shocks impacted the real effective exchange rates of individual euro area countries since the euro’s creation?," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 48, April.
- Matthieu Bussiere & Alexander Chudik & Arnaud Mehl, 2011. "How have global shocks impacted the real effective exchange rates of individual Euro area countries since the Euro's creation?," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 102, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Ravasan, Farshad R & Wörgötter, Andreas, 2013. "The origins of the German current account surplus: Unbalanced productivity growth and structural change," CEPR Discussion Papers 9527, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rolf J. Langhammer & Felix Mihram & Nikolaus Wolf & Volker Nitsch, 2010. "Zur Diskussion gestellt: Ungleichgewichte im Außenhandel: Wie können Handelsbilanzsalden abgebaut werden?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 63(24), pages 03-13, December.
- Bergljot Barkbu & Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 2011. "International Financial Crises and the Multilateral Response: What the Historical Record Shows," NBER Working Papers 17361, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger, 2011.
"Current Account Imbalances in the Euro Area: Catching up or Competitiveness?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1106, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Dreger, 2011. "Current Account Imbalances in the Euro Area: Catching up or Competitiveness?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0241, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011. "Current account imbalances in the euro area: Catching up or competitiveness?," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48711, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Belke, Ansgar & Dreger, Christian, 2011. "Current account imbalances in the euro area: Catching up or competitiveness?," Discussion Papers 297, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Angelini, Elisabetta Croci & Farina, Francesco, 2012. "Current account imbalances and systemic risk within a monetary union," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 647-656.
- Marco Buti, 2011. "Balancing Imbalances: Improving Economic Governance in the EU after the Crisis," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(2), pages 03-11, 07.
- Christodoulopoulou, Styliani, 2010. "THE Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on the Extensive and the Intensive Margins of Trade," MPRA Paper 29169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jarkko Turunen & Richard T. Harmsen & Tamim Bayoumi, 2011. "Euro Area Export Performance and Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 11/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Abad, José & Löffler, Axel & Schnabl, Gunther & Zemanek, Holger, 2012. "Fiscal divergence, current account and TARGET2 imbalances in the EMU," Working Papers 105, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
- Vogel, Lukas, 2012. "Structural reforms, fiscal consolidation and external rebalancing in monetary union: A model-based analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1286-1298.
- Lenka Pítrová & Olga Francová & Jan Durica & Hana Bambasová, 2013. "Analysis of Measures and Proposals Reacting on the Crisis of the European Integration Project," Současná Evropa, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(2), pages 143-165.
- Peter Wierts & Henk van Kerkhoff & Jakob de Haan, 2012. "Trade Dynamics in the Euro Area: The role of export destination and composition," DNB Working Papers 354, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.