Sustainable Real Exchange Rates in the New Eu Member States
AbstractThe Great Recession affected export and import patterns in our sample countries, and these changes, coupled with a more volatile external environment, have profound impact on our estimates of real exchange rate misalignments and projections of sustainable real exchange rates. We find that real misalignments in several countries with pegged exchange rates and excessive external liabilities widened relative to earlier estimates. While countries with balanced net trade positions are expected to continue to experience appreciation during 2010-2014, several currencies are likely to require real depreciation to maintain sustainable net external debt. Our estimates point to somewhat larger disequilibria than those of IMF country teams, however, any estimates of equilibrium exchange rates are subject to sizable uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/198.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-10-16 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-10-16 (European Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-10-16 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Logan T. Lewis & Linda L. Tesar, 2010.
"The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun,"
NBER Working Papers
16006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Logan Lewis & Linda Tesar & Andrei Levchenko, 2010. "The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun," 2010 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 109, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Logan Lewis & Linda L. Tesar, 2009. "The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun," Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan 592, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Fic, Tatiana & Barrell, Ray & Holland, Dawn, 2008.
"Entry rates and the risks of misalignment in the EU8,"
Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 761-774.
- Dr Tatiana Fic & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2006. "Entry rates and the risks of misalignment in the EU8," NIESR Discussion Papers, National Institute of Economic and Social Research 1261, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers, Bank of England 248, Bank of England.
- Michal Franta & Jozef Barunik & Roman Horvath & Katerina Smidkova, 2011. "Are Bayesian Fan Charts Useful for Central Banks? Uncertainty, Forecasting, and Financial Stability Stress Tests," Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department 2011/10, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Iršová, Zuzana & Havránek, Tomáš, 2013.
"Determinants of Horizontal Spillovers from FDI: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis,"
World Development, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 1-15.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2011. "Determinants of Horizontal Spillovers from FDI: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis," Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department 2011/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Sophocles Vogiazas & Constantinos Alexiou, 2013. "Liquidity And The Business Cycle: Empirical Evidence From The Greek Banking Sector," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 58(199), pages 109-126, October -.
- Lucian Claudiu ANGHEL & Florina PINZARU & Mihaela DINU & Laurentiu-Mihai TREAPAT, 2014. "Fixing the Central Parity and the Evolution of the Currency within the Exchange Rate Mechanism II in the Countries that Joined the Euro Zone," Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy Journal, College of Management, National University of Political Studies and Public Administration, College of Management, National University of Political Studies and Public Administration, vol. 2(4), pages 21-40, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.