Can Global Liquidity Forecast Asset Prices?
AbstractDuring the period leading up to the global financial crisis many asset classes registered rapid price increases. This coincided with a significant rise in global liquidity. This paper attempts to determine the extent to which the rise in asset prices was influenced by developments in global liquidity. We confirm that global liquidity had a significant impact on the buildup in house prices; however, the impact on equity prices was limited. In contrast to common perception, we find that the impact of global liquidity declined during the period of the Great Moderation. The paper also examines spillovers from global liquidity to domestic variables and concludes that domestic factors generally played a more significant role in house price appreciation relative to global factors. This contradicts the hypothesis of weakened potency of domestic monetary policy in the presence of increased international liquidity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/196.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-10-16 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FOR-2010-10-16 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2010-10-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-10-16 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aquiles Arrieta Barcasnegras, 2012. "La relación entre los flujos de capital y el precio de la vivienda: el caso colombiano," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL CARIBE, UNIVERSIDAD DEL NORTE.
- Ratti, Ronald A. & Vespignani, Joaquin L., 2013.
"Liquidity and crude oil prices: China's influence over 1996–2011,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 517-525.
- Ratti, Ronald A. & Vespignani, Joaquin L., 2012. "Liquidity and Crude Oil Prices: China’s Influence Over 1996-2011," MPRA Paper 48900, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ratti, Ronald & Vespignani, Joaquin, 2012. "Liquidity and crude oil prices: China’s influence over 1996-2011," Working Papers 15062, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance, revised 20 Sep 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.