Can You Map Global Financial Stability?
AbstractThe Global Financial Stability Map was developed as a tool to interpret the risks and conditions that impact financial stability in a graphical manner. It complements other existing tools for assessing financial stability, and seeks to overcome some of the drawbacks of earlier approaches. This paper provides the motivation for the tool, a detailed discussion of its construction, including the choice of risk factors and conditions, a description of the underlying indicators, and a discussion on how the final assessment is determined. When applied to past events of financial instability, the Global Financial Stability Map performs reasonably well in signaling risks to stability, as well as in characterizing the depth of crisis episodes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/145.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Illing & Ying Liu, 2003. "An Index of Financial Stress for Canada," Working Papers 03-14, Bank of Canada.
- Martin CihÃ¡k, 2006. "How Do Central Banks Write on Financial Stability?," IMF Working Papers 06/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Lea Zicchino & Dimitrios Tsomocos & Miguel Segoviano & Charles Goodhart & Oriol Aspachs Bracon, 2006.
"Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability,"
FMG Special Papers
sp167, Financial Markets Group.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & O. AspachsC. GoodhartM. SegovianoL. Zicchino, 2006. "Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability," Economics Series Working Papers 2006-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- O. Aspachs & C. Goodhart & M. Segoviano & D. Tsomocos & L. Zicchino, 2006. "Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Toward a Framework for Safeguarding Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 04/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Jan Willem van den End, 2006. "Indicator and boundaries of financial stability," DNB Working Papers 097, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Sarlin, Peter & Peltonen, Tuomas A., 2011.
"Mapping the state of financial stability,"
Working Paper Series
1382, European Central Bank.
- Sarlin, Peter & Peltonen, Tuomas A., 2013. "Mapping the state of financial stability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 46-76.
- John Whalley & Manmohan Agarwal & Jing Wang & Sean Walsh & Chen Yan, 2011. "Linking External Sector Imbalances and Changing Financial Instability before the 2008 Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 17645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.