Important Elements for Inflation Targeting for Emerging Economies
AbstractThis is the fifth chapter of a forthcoming monograph entitled "On Implementing Full-Fledged Inflation-Targeting Regimes: Saying What You Do and Doing What You Say." It examines whether certain conditions have to be met before emerging economies can adopt an inflation-targeting regime and provides some empirical evidence on the matter. The issues analyzed are the priority of inflation targeting over other goals, the absence of fiscal dominance, central bank independence, the degree of control over the policy interest rate, a sound methodology for forecasting, and the soundness of financial institutions and markets, and resilience to changes in exchange rates and interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 10/113.
Date of creation: 01 May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-05-29 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-05-29 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-05-29 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Alexandru Minea & Rene Tapsoba, 2012.
"Inflation Targeting and Fiscal Rules: Do Interactions and Sequence of Adoption Matter?,"
- René TAPSOBA & Alexandru MINEA & Jean-Louis COMBES, 2012. "Inflation Targeting and Fiscal Rules: Do Interactions and Sequence of Adoption Matter?," Working Papers 201223, CERDI.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Improving the Monetary Policy Frameworks in Central America," IMF Working Papers 11/245, International Monetary Fund.
- Lanzafame, Matteo & Nogueira, Reginaldo, 2013. "Inflation targeting and interest rates," MPRA Paper 46153, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "The Policy Interest-Rate Pass-Through in Central America," IMF Working Papers 11/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Minea, Alexandru & Tapsoba, René, 2014. "Does inflation targeting improve fiscal discipline?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 185-203.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.