Distress in European Banks
AbstractThe global financial crisis has highlighted the importance of early identification of weak banks: when problems are identified late, solutions are much more costly. Until recently, Europe has seen only a small number of outright bank failures, which made the estimation of early warning models for bank supervision very difficult. This paper presents a unique database of individual bank distress across the European Union from mid-1990s to 2008. Using this data set, we analyze the causes of banking distress in Europe. We identify a set of indicators and thresholds that can help to distinguish sound banks from those vulnerable to financial distress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/9.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-03-28 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2009-03-28 (European Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2009-03-28 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006.
"Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125498, Tilburg University.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & George G. Kaufman, 2005. "Bank crisis resolution and foreign-owned banks," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 1-18.
- Koetter, Michael & Bos, Jaap W. B. & Heid, Frank & Kool, Clemens J. M. & Kolari, James W. & Porath, Daniel, 2005.
"Accounting for distress in bank mergers,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2005,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein & Catherine A. Pattillo, 2004. "Assessing Early Warning Systems," IMF Working Papers 04/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin, Daniel, 1977. "Early warning of bank failure : A logit regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 249-276, November.
- Heider, Florian & Gropp, Reint Eberhard, 2008. "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Some Evidence from Banks," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-015, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2004.
"Competition and financial stability,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 453-486.
- Thomas B. King & Daniel A. Nuxoll & Timothy J. Yeager, 2006. "Are the causes of bank distress changing? can researchers keep up?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 57-80.
- Blum, Jürg M., 2008. "Why 'Basel II' may need a leverage ratio restriction," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1699-1707, August.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1998. "Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 273-305, August.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Klaus Schaeck, 2007. "How Well Do Aggregate Bank Ratios Identify Banking Problems?," IMF Working Papers 07/275, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Alexander F. Tieman, 2008. "Quality of Financial Sector Regulation and Supervision Around the World," IMF Working Papers 08/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael, 2007.
"Slippery slopes of stress: Ordered failure events in German banking,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 132-148, July.
- Koetter, Michael & Kick, Thomas, 2007. "Slippery slopes of stress: ordered failure events in German banking," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kraft, Evan & Galac, Tomislav, 2007. "Deposit interest rates, asset risk and bank failure in Croatia," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 312-336, March.
- Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Ceyla PazarbaÅŸioÄŸlu & Robert Billings, 1997. "Determinants of Banking System Fragility: A Case Study of Mexico," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(3), pages 295-314, September.
- Bongini, Paola & Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2002. "How good is the market at assessing bank fragility? A horse race between different indicators," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1011-1028, May.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & JÃ¶rg Decressin, 2007. "The Case for a European Banking Charter," IMF Working Papers 07/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Joseph R. Mason, 2001.
"Causes of U.S. bank distress during the depression,"
714, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Joseph R. Mason, 2000. "Causes of U.S. Bank Distress During the Depression," NBER Working Papers 7919, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin CIHAK, 2007. "Systemic Loss: A Measure of Financial Stability (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(1-2), pages 5-26, March.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Petya Koeva Brooks, 2009. "From Subprime Loans to Subprime Growth? Evidence for the Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 09/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Amidu, Mohammed, 2013. "The effects of the structure of banking market and funding strategy on risk and return," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 143-155.
- Benjamin Neudorfer & Michael Sigmund & Alexander Trachta, 2011. "Detecting Financial Stability Vulnerabilities in Due Time: Can Simple Indicators Identify a Complex Issue?," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 22.
- David G. Mayes & Hanno Stremmel, 2014.
"The Effectiveness of Capital Adequacy Measures in Predicting Bank Distress,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2014/1.
- David G. Mayes & Hanno Stremmel, 2014. "The Effectiveness of Capital Adequacy Measures in Predicting Bank Distress," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Maria Th. Kasselaki & Athanasios O. Tagkalakis, 2013. "Financial soundness indicators and financial crisis episodes," Working Papers 158, Bank of Greece.
- Radu Muntean, 2009. "Early Warning Models for Banking Supervision in Romania," Advances in Economic and Financial Research - DOFIN Working Paper Series 39, Bucharest University of Economics, Center for Advanced Research in Finance and Banking - CARFIB.
- Tao Sun, 2011. "Identifying Vulnerabilities in Systemically-Important Financial Institutions in a Macro-Financial Linkages Framework," IMF Working Papers 11/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Rose, Andrew & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012. "Too big to fail: some empirical evidence on the causes and consequences of public banking interventions in the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 460, Bank of England.
- Albulescu Claudiu Tiberiu & Coroiu Sorina Ioana, 2009. "Early Warning System For The Romanian Banking Sector: The Caampl Approach," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 3(1), pages 458-466, May.
- Dieter Gramlich & Mikhail V. Oet & Stephen J. Ong, 2013. "Policy in adaptive financial markets—the use of systemic risk early warning tools," Working Paper 1309, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Eichler, Stefan & Karmann, Alexander & Maltritz, Dominik, 2010. "Deriving the term structure of banking crisis risk with a compound option approach: The case of Kazakhstan," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Jiri Podpiera & Inci Ã–tker, 2010. "The Fundamental Determinants of Credit Default Risk for European Large Complex Financial Institutions," IMF Working Papers 10/153, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.