Global Imbalances and Petrodollars
AbstractOil exporters have run large current account surpluses. We explore oil exporters' role in our understanding and the resolution of global imbalances. Current account dynamics are estimated for oil-exporting countries and the rest of the world. We find that fiscal policy has a much stronger effect on current account of oil exporters than on current account of other countries. The current account adjustment of oil-exporting countries is also faster than that of other countries. We conclude that a change in fiscal policy of oil exporters can have significant and speedy impact on global imbalances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/89.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2009-05-23 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CBA-2009-05-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ENE-2009-05-23 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2009-05-23 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006.
"The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007. "The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," IMF Working Papers 06/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," CEPR Discussion Papers 5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000.
"Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003. "Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries - An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Higgins, Matthew, 1998. "Demography, National Savings, and International Capital Flows," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(2), pages 343-69, May.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bond, Stephen Roy & Hoeffler, Anke & Temple, Jonathan, 2001.
"GMM Estimation of Empirical Growth Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Gernot J. Müller, 2006.
"Twin deficits: squaring theory, evidence and common sense,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(48), pages 597-638, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Gernot J. Müller, 2005. "Twin Deficits: Squaring Theory, Evidence and Common Sense," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/22, European University Institute.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002.
"Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000. "Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2398, The World Bank.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1994. "Workers Remittances and the Real Exchange Rate: A Quantitative Framework," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 235-45.
- Sebastián Edwards, 2007. "On Current Account Surpluses and the Correction of Global Imbalances," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 440, Central Bank of Chile.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2007. "On Current Account Surpluses and the Correction of Global Imbalances," NBER Working Papers 12904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Bond & Anke Hoeffler, 2001. "GMM Estimation of Empirical Growth Models," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-W21, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Billmeier & Dalia Hakura, 2008. "Trade Elasticities in the Middle East and Central Asia: What is the Role of Oil?," IMF Working Papers 08/216, International Monetary Fund.
- Gruber, Joseph W. & Kamin, Steven B., 2007. "Explaining the global pattern of current account imbalances," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 500-522, June.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Luisa Zanforlin, 2007. "Current Account Deficits in Africa: Stylized Facts and Basic Determinants," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 191-221.
- Ibrahim Turhan & Erk Hacihasanoglu & Ugur Soytas, 2013.
"Oil Prices and Emerging Market Exchange Rates,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(S1), pages 21-36, January.
- Hacihasanoglu, Erk & Turhan, Ibrahim M. & Soytas, Ugur, 2012. "Oil prices and emerging market exchange rates," MPRA Paper 36477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Ibrahim Turhan & Erk Hacihasanoglu & Ugur Soytas, 2012. "Oil Prices and Emerging Market Exchange Rates," Working Papers 1201, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Jean-Pierre Allegret & Cécile Couharde & Dramane Coulibaly & Valérie Mignon, 2013.
"Current Accounts and Oil Price Fluctuations in Oil-Exporting Countries: the Role of Financial Development,"
2013-19, CEPII research center.
- Jean-Pierre Allegret & Cécile Couharde & Dramane Coulibaly & Valérie Mignon, 2013. "Current accounts and oil price fluctuations in oil-exporting countries: the role of financial development," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-29, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Paul Cashin & Samya Beidas-Strom, 2011. "Are Middle Eastern Current Account Imbalances Excessive?," IMF Working Papers 11/195, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.