Are Capital Controls Effective in the 21st Century? the Recent Experience of Colombia
AbstractThis paper assesses the effects of capital controls imposed in Colombia in 2007 on capital flows and exchange rate dynamics. The results suggest that the controls were successful in reducing external borrowing, but had no statistically significant impact on the volume of non- FDI flows as a whole. We find no evidence that restrictions to capital mobility moderated the appreciation of Colombia''s currency, or increased the degree of independence of monetary policy. We also find that controls have significantly increased the volatility of the exchange rate. Additional research is needed to assess the effects of capital controls on financial stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/30.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-03-28 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2009-03-28 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2009-03-28 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-03-28 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Jose De Gregorio & Sebastian Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 2000.
"Controls on Capital Inflows: Do they Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
7645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2006.
"Capital Controls: An Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
11973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Magud, Nicolas, 2007. "Capital controls: An evaluation," MPRA Paper 14097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2005. "Capital Controls: An Evaluation," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2005-19, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Carolina Gómez Restrepo & Diego Jara Pinzón & Andrés Murcia Pabón, 2006.
"Impacto De Las Operaciones De Los Fondos De Pensiones Obligatorias En Los Mercados Financieros Colombianos,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002806, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carolina Gómez Restrepo & Diego Jara Pinzón & Andrés Murcia Pabón, . "Impacto De Las Operaciones De Los Fondos De Pensiones Obligatorias En Los Mercados Financieros Colombianos," Borradores de Economia 406, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2005.
"The Microeconomic Evidence on Capital Controls: No Free Lunch,"
NBER Working Papers
11372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2007. "The Microeconomic Evidence on Capital Controls: No Free Lunch," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences, pages 171-202 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Braumoeller, Bear F., 2004. "Hypothesis Testing and Multiplicative Interaction Terms," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(04), pages 807-820, October.
- Sebastian Edwards & Roberto Rigobon, 2005. "Capital Controls, Exchange Rate Volatility and External Vulnerability," NBER Working Papers 11434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Herman Kamil, 2008. "Is Central Bank Intervention Effective Under Inflation Targeting Regimes? the Case of Colombia," IMF Working Papers 08/88, International Monetary Fund.
- David, Antonio C., 2007.
"Are price-based capital account regulations effective in developing countries ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4175, The World Bank.
- Antonio David, 2009. "Are price-based capital account regulations effective in developing countries?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(26), pages 3375-3388.
- José Darío Uribe, 2005. "Capital controls and foreign exchange market intervention in Colombia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and monetary policy in emerging markets, volume 23, pages 128-40 Bank for International Settlements.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999. "Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- Jean François Clevy Aguilar, 2011. "Operatoria de política monetaria y regulación macroprudencial," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 117-125, Julio-sep.
- Concha, Alvaro & Galindo, Arturo José & Vasquez, Diego, 2011. "An assessment of another decade of capital controls in Colombia: 1998–2008," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-338.
- Bruno Coelho & Kevin P. Gallagher, 2013. "The effectiveness of capital controls: evidence from Colombia and Thailand," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 386-403, May.
- Jonathan D. Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Habermeier & Luc Laeven & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash S. Qureshi & Annamaria Kokenyne, 2011. "Gestión de la entrada de capitales: ¿Qué herramientas usar?," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 138-174, Julio-sep.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach," Working Paper Series WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Bruno Coelho & Kevin Gallagher, 2010. "Capital Controls and 21st Century Financial Crises: Evidence from Colombia and Thailand," Working Papers wp213, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Vanessa Da Costa Val Munhoz & Gilberto Libânio, 2011. "Revisitando Os Controles De Capitais:Notas Teóricas E Evidências Empíricas," Anais do XXXVIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 38th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 202, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jean-Claude Trichet, 2011. "Cómo lograr el máximo crecimiento a largo plazo," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 126-137, Julio-sep.
- Matthew S. Yiu, 2011. "The Effect of Capital Flow Management Measures in Five Asian Economies on the Foreign Exchange Market," Working Papers 412011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- R. Kohli, . "India's Experience in Navigating the Trilemma: Do Capital Controls Help?," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 257, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Raúl Morales, 2011. "Situación actual de los sistemas de pago de bajo valor en América Latina y el Caribe," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 107-116, Julio-sep.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Policy Instruments to Lean Against the Wind in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 11/159, International Monetary Fund.
- Abhakorn, Pongrapeeporn & Tantisantiwong, Nongnuch, 2012. "A reexamination of capital controls’ effectiveness: Recent experience of Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 26-38.
- Ostry, Jonathan D. & Ghosh, Atish R. & Chamon, Marcos & Qureshi, Mahvash S., 2012. "Tools for managing financial-stability risks from capital inflows," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 407-421.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.