Are Capital Controls Effective in the 21st Century? The Recent Experience of Colombia
AbstractThis paper assesses the effects of capital controls imposed in Colombia in 2007 on capital flows and exchange rate dynamics. The results suggest that the controls were successful in reducing external borrowing, but had no statistically significant impact on the volume of non- FDI flows as a whole. We find no evidence that restrictions to capital mobility moderated the appreciation of Colombia's currency, or increased the degree of independence of monetary policy. We also find that controls have significantly increased the volatility of the exchange rate. Additional research is needed to assess the effects of capital controls on financial stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/30.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-03-28 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2009-03-28 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2009-03-28 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-03-28 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries: Some Empirical Evidence," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2006.
"Capital Controls: An Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
11973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2005. "Capital Controls: An Evaluation," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2005-19, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Magud, Nicolas, 2007. "Capital controls: An evaluation," MPRA Paper 14097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2000. "Controls on capital flows," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101337, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Antonio David, 2009.
"Are price-based capital account regulations effective in developing countries?,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(26), pages 3375-3388.
- David, Antonio C., 2007. "Are price-based capital account regulations effective in developing countries ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4175, The World Bank.
- José Darío Uribe, 2005. "Capital controls and foreign exchange market intervention in Colombia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and monetary policy in emerging markets, volume 23, pages 128-40 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2005.
"The Microeconomic Evidence on Capital Controls: No Free Lunch,"
NBER Working Papers
11372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2007. "The Microeconomic Evidence on Capital Controls: No Free Lunch," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences, pages 171-202 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herman Kamil, 2008. "Is Central Bank Intervention Effective Under Inflation Targeting Regimes? The Case of Colombia," IMF Working Papers 08/88, International Monetary Fund.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Edwards, Sebastian & Valdes, Rodrigo O., 2000.
"Controls on capital inflows: do they work?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Braumoeller, Bear F., 2004. "Hypothesis Testing and Multiplicative Interaction Terms," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(04), pages 807-820, October.
- Sebastian Edwards & Roberto Rigobon, 2005. "Capital Controls, Exchange Rate Volatility and External Vulnerability," NBER Working Papers 11434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Carolina Gómez Restrepo & Diego Jara Pinzón & Andrés Murcia Pabón, .
"Impacto De Las Operaciones De Los Fondos De Pensiones Obligatorias En Los Mercados Financieros Colombianos,"
Borradores de Economia
406, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carolina Gómez Restrepo & Diego Jara Pinzón & Andrés Murcia Pabón, 2006. "Impacto De Las Operaciones De Los Fondos De Pensiones Obligatorias En Los Mercados Financieros Colombianos," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002806, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Matthew S. Yiu, 2011. "The Effect of Capital Flow Management Measures in Five Asian Economies on the Foreign Exchange Market," Working Papers 412011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach," Working Paper Series WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Policy Instruments To Lean Against The Wind In Latin America," IMF Working Papers 11/159, International Monetary Fund.
- María Angélica Arbeláez & Roberto Steiner, 2010. "Efectos de los Fondos de Pensiones Obligatorias y de Disposiciones del Banco Central Sobre el Mercado de Derivados y la Volatilidad Cambiaria en Colombia," IDB Publications 7775, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Bruno Coelho & Kevin Gallagher, 2010. "Capital Controls and 21st Century Financial Crises: Evidence from Colombia and Thailand," Working Papers wp213, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.