Measures of Underlying Inflation in Sri Lanka
AbstractDuring the first half of 2008, Sri Lanka witnessed significantly higher inflation than most other emerging Asian countries. Inflation has since declined amid declining world commodity prices and tight monetary policy. Given the sensitivity to global commodity prices, a core inflation measure could be useful for monetary policy. The purpose of this paper is to compare the performance of Sri Lanka''s existing official measure of core inflation against alternative measures. Our findings suggest that the existing measure does contain information about the future path of headline information, but may be inadequate as a communication tool for the Central Bank.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/167.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-10-10 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2009-10-10 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-10-10 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2009-10-10 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Carlos Robalo Marques & Pedro Duarte Neves & Luís Morais Sarmento, 2000.
"Evaluating Core Inflation Indicators,"
Working Papers, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department
w200003, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Pedro Duarte Neves & Luís Morais Sarmento & Carlos Robalo Marques, 1999. "Evaluating core inflation indicators," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Robalo Marques, Carlos & Duarte Neves, Pedro & Morais Sarmento, Luis, 2003. "Evaluating core inflation indicators," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 765-775, July.
- Tiff Macklem, 2001. "A New Measure of Core Inflation," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, Bank of Canada, vol. 2001(Autumn), pages 3-12.
- Mark A. Wynne, 1999.
"Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues,"
Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
9903, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark A. Wynne, 2008. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 205-228.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1999. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0005, European Central Bank.
- Thérèse Laflèche, 1997. "Statistical measures of the trend rate of inflation," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, Bank of Canada, vol. 1997(Autumn), pages 29-47.
- Freeman, Donald G., 1998. "Do core inflation measures help forecast inflation?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 143-147, February.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993.
"The consumer price index as a measure of inflation,"
Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland,
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 15-24.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993. "The Consumer Price Index as a Measure of Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mick Silver, 2007. "Core Inflation: Measurement and Statistical Issues in Choosing Among Alternative Measures," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(1), pages 163-190, May.
- Edimon Ginting, 2007. "Is Inflation in India An Attractor of Inflation in Nepal?," IMF Working Papers 07/269, International Monetary Fund.
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
Bank of England working papers, Bank of England
31, Bank of England.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Muhammad Nadim Hanif & Muhammad Jahanzeb Malik & Javed Iqbal, 2012.
"Intrinsic Inflation Persistence in a Developing Country,"
- Hanif, Muhamad Nadim & Malik, Muhamad Jahanzeb & Iqbal, Javed, 2012. "Intrinsic Inflation Persistence in a Developing Country," MPRA Paper 43152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hanif, M. Nadim & Malik, Muhammad Jahanzeb & Iqbal, Javed, 2012. "Intrinsic Inflation Persistence in a Developing Country," MPRA Paper 39583, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ding Ding & John Nelmes & Roshan Perera & Volodymyr Tulin, 2014. "Estimating Sri Lankaâ€™s Potential Output," IMF Working Papers 14/40, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.