Macroeconomic Fundamentals, Price Discovery and Volatility Dynamics in Emerging Markets
AbstractThis study characterizes volatility dynamics in external emerging bond markets and examines how prices and volatility respond to news about macroeconomic fundamentals. As in mature bond markets, macroeconomic surprises in external emerging bond markets are found to a�ect both conditional returns and volatility, with the e�ects on volatility being more pronounced and longer lasting than those on prices. Yet the process of information absorption tends to be more drawn out than in mature bond markets. International and regional macroeconomic news is at least as important as local news for both asset valuations and volatility dynamics in external emerging bond markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/147.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2009-10-10 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MST-2009-10-10 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jesús Gonzalo & AbderrahimTaamouti, 2012.
"The reaction of stock market returns to anticipated unemployment,"
Economics Working Papers
we1237, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Abderrahim Taamouti, 2011. "The reaction of stock market returns to anticipated unemployment," Economics Working Papers we1145, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Jochen Andritzky & Andreas Jobst & Sylwia Nowak & Natalia Tamirisa, 2010.
"Market Response to Policy Initiatives during the Global Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Andritzky, Jochen & Jobst, Andreas & Nowak, Sylwia & Tamirisa, Natalia, 2012. "Market response to policy initiatives during the global financial crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 162-177.
- Caitlin Ann Greatrex & Erick W. Rengifo, 2010. "Government Intervention and the CDS Market: A Look at the Market's Response to Policy Announcements During the 2007-2009 Financial Crisis," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2010-12, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Mittnik & Nikolay Robinzonov & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2013. "The Micro Dynamics of Macro Announcements," CESifo Working Paper Series 4421, CESifo Group Munich.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "How to Stop a Herd of Running Bears? Market Response to Policy Initiatives during the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/204, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.