How Can Burundi Raise Its Growth Rate?The Impact of Civil Conflicts and State Intervention on Burundi's Growth Performance
AbstractOver the last thirty years Burundi's low economic growth has led to a significant decline in per capita GDP. The purpose of this paper is to shed light on supply-side constraints that prevented Burundi's economy from growing faster. Lack of investment, civil conflict, economic inefficiencies, state intervention in the economy, and regulatory restrictions explain a large part of the weak growth performance for the last thirty years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/11.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, A C, 1985. "Trends and Cycles in Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(3), pages 216-27, June.
- Hall, Stephen G & Basdevant, Olivier, 2002. " Measuring the Capital Stock in Russia: An Unobserved Component Model," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 365-70.
- Benjamin F. Jones & Benjamin A. Olken, 2005.
"The Anatomy of Start-Stop Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
11528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002.
"On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Ravn, M.O. & Uhlig, H., 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott Filter for the frequency of observations," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.