Inflation Pressures and Monetary Policy Options in Emerging and Developing Countries-A Cross Regional Perspective
AbstractThis paper analyzes the monetary policy response to rising inflation in emerging and developing countries associated with the food and oil price shocks in 2007 and the first half of 2008. It reviews inflation developments in a sample of countries covering all regions and a broad range of monetary and exchange rate policy regimes; discusses the underlying causes of inflation; provides a synthesis of policy responses taken against the background of the conflicting objectives and trade-offs, the uncertainties regarding the nature of the shocks, and the additional challenges brought on by the global financial turmoil; and presents considerations for policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 09/1.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-01-31 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2009-01-31 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2009-01-31 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-01-31 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2009-01-31 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu, 2011.
"28 Months Later: How Inflation Targeters Outperformed Their Peers in the Great Recession,"
29100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Carvalho Filho Irineu E, 2011. "28 Months Later: How Inflation Targeters Outperformed Their Peers in the Great Recession," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-46, July.
- Pourroy, Marc, 2012. "Does exchange rate control improve inflation targeting in emerging economies?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 448-450.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu, 2010. "Inflation Targeting and the Crisis: An Empirical Assessment," MPRA Paper 19960, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Salas, Jorge, 2009. "¿Qué explica las fluctuaciones de la inflación en el Perú en el periodo 2002-2008? Evidencia de un análisis VAR estructural," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 16, pages 9-36.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Global Food Price Inflation and Policy Responses in Central Asia," IMF Working Papers 12/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Carlos Berganza & Carmen Broto, 2011.
"Flexible inflation targets, forex interventions and exchange rate volatility in emerging countries,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1105, Banco de Espa�a.
- Berganza, Juan Carlos & Broto, Carmen, 2012. "Flexible inflation targets, forex interventions and exchange rate volatility in emerging countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 428-444.
- Berganza, Juan Carlos & Broto, Carmen, 2011. "Flexible inflation targets, forex interventions and exchange rate volatility in emerging countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition 9/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Inflation Responses to Commodity Price Shocks," IMF Working Papers 12/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Siddig, Khalid H.A. & Grethe, Harald, 2012.
"International Price Transmission In Cge Models: How To Reconcile Econometric Evidence And Endogenous Model Response?,"
52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA)
137388, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Siddig, Khalid & Grethe, Harald, 2014. "International price transmission in CGE models: How to reconcile econometric evidence and endogenous model response?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 12-22.
- Nir Klein, 2012. "Estimating the Implicit Inflation Target of the South African Reserve Bank," IMF Working Papers 12/177, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.