The Landscape of Capital Flows to Low-Income Countries
AbstractThis paper reviews trends in capital flows and capital-like flows such as official grants and remittances to low-income countries over the period 1981-2006. The survey reveals a broadbased increase in such flows as a share of low-income country GDP across major regions, countries with differing commodity export composition, and countries with differing debt relief status. The increase in inflows is dominated by an increase in private sector inflows, mostly in the form of private transfers and foreign direct investment. Official sector inflows have remained comparatively constant as a share of low-income country GDP and even declined in the most recent years. The paper concludes with some tentative policy conclusions and has a discussion of data issues in the annexes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/51.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2008-03-25 (International Finance)
- NEP-OPM-2008-03-25 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Kees Martijn & Gabriel Di Bella & Shamsuddin Tareq & Benedict J. Clements & Abebe Aemro Selassie, 2006. "Designing Monetary and Fiscal Policy in Low-Income Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 250, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Berg & Mumtaz Hussain & Shaun K. Roache & Amber Mahone & Tokhir N. Mirzoev & Shekhar Aiyar, 2007. "The Macroeconomics of Scaling Up Aid," IMF Occasional Papers 253, International Monetary Fund.
- Matthias Busse & José Luis Groizard, 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Regulations and Growth,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(7), pages 861-886, 07.
- Busse, Matthias & Groizard, Jose Luis, 2006. "Foreign direct investment, regulations, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3882, The World Bank.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp & Samir Jahjah, 2005.
"Are Immigrant Remittance Flows a Source of Capital for Development?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(1), pages 55-81, April.
- Samir Jahjah & Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp, 2003. "Are Immigrant Remittance Flows a Source of Capital for Development," IMF Working Papers 03/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 1999. "Capital Flows to Developing Economies: Implications for Saving and Investment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 30(1), pages 143-180.
- W. A. Naude & W. F. Krugell, 2007. "Investigating geography and institutions as determinants of foreign direct investment in Africa using panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1223-1233.
- Helaway Tadesse & Mark Lewis & JÃ¶rg Zeuner & James John & Luzmaria Monasi & Paolo Dudine, 2006. "Weathering the Storm so Far," IMF Working Papers 06/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007.
"Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 764-782, 05.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 2005-05, CEPII research center.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Patrick Plane & Tidiane Kinda, 2011.
"Capital Flows and their Impact on the Real Effective Exchange Rate,"
- Jean-Louis COMBES & Patrick PLANE & Tidiane KINDA, 2010. "Capital Flows and their Impact on the Real Effective Exchange Rate," Working Papers 201032, CERDI.
- Corinne DelÃ©chat & John Wakeman-Linn & Smita Wagh & Gustavo Ramirez, 2009. "Sub-Saharan Africa's Integration in the Global Financial Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/114, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.