Expenditure Ceilings: A Survey
AbstractThis paper looks at the factors that have to be considered when designing an aggregate expenditure ceiling. It is argued that expenditure ceilings are effective in promoting fiscal discipline and sustainability, but that a number of trade-offs have to be made when setting up a fiscal framework that will survive in a politically charged environment. The paper illustrates the discussion with a case study of medium-term aggregate expenditure ceilings in three countries: Finland, the Netherlands and Sweden.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/282.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-01-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2009-01-03 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jón R. Blöndal, 2004. "Issues in Accrual Budgeting," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, OECD Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 103-119.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1990. "Suggestions for a New Set of Fiscal Indicators," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 79, OECD Publishing.
- Perotti, Roberto, 2005. "Estimating the Effects of Fiscal Policy in OECD Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 4842, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Roberto Perotti, 2005.
"Estimating the effects of fiscal policy in OECD countries,"
Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco,
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Roberto Perotti, 2004. "Estimating the effects of fiscal policy in OECD countries," Working Papers 276, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Philip Hemmings & David Turner & Seija Parviainen, 2003. "Enhancing the Effectiveness of Public Spending in Finland," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 358, OECD Publishing.
- George Kopits & Steven A. Symansky, 1998. "Fiscal Policy Rules," IMF Occasional Papers 162, International Monetary Fund.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sachs, Jeffrey D., 1989. "Political and economic determinants of budget deficits in the industrial democracies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 903-933, May.
- Hallerberg, Mark & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1997. "Electoral Institutions, Cabinet Negotiations, and Budget Deficits within the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 1555, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Murchison & Janine Robbins, . "Fiscal Policy and the Business Cycle: A New Approach to Identifying the Interaction," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada, Department of Finance Canada 2003-06, Department of Finance Canada.
- George Kopits, 2001. "Fiscal Rules," IMF Working Papers 01/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Torben Andersen, 2005. "Is there a Role for an Active Fiscal Stabilization Policy?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1447, CESifo Group Munich.
- Allen Schick, 2003. "The Role of Fiscal Rules in Budgeting," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 7-34.
- Vincent Koen & Paul van den Noord, 2005. "Fiscal Gimmickry in Europe: One-Off Measures and Creative Accounting," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 417, OECD Publishing.
- Nathalie Girouard & Christophe André, 2005. "Measuring Cyclically-adjusted Budget Balances for OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 434, OECD Publishing.
- Flodén, Martin, 2012.
"A Role Model for the Conduct of Fiscal Policy? Experiences from Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
9095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flodén, Martin, 2013. "A role model for the conduct of fiscal policy? Experiences from Sweden," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 177-197.
- Sacchi, Agnese & Salotti, Simone, 2014. "The impact of national fiscal rules on the stabilisation function of fiscal policy," MPRA Paper 56982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.