Can Regional Cross-listings Accelerate Stock Market Development? Empirical Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa
AbstractThis study analyzes the impact of regional cross-listing of stocks on the depth of the stock markets in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). It analyzes data from 1990 to 2007 for a panel of 13 stock markets in SSA countries, only some of which have regional cross-listings. Using event study methodology, the paper finds significant positive effects in measures of stock market depth around regional cross-listing events. Overall, growth in the regional crosslisting of stocks facilitates stock market deepening, and the stock markets of countries with regional cross-listings perform better than those without. The study thus suggests that SSA countries can benefit from putting in place the necessary conditions for promoting regional cross-listings and thereby deepening their stock markets. These include sound legal and regulatory frameworks, macroeconomic and political stability, harmonization of listing rules, accounting laws and disclosure requirements across the region, and strong money markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/281.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2002.
"Explaining the Migration of Stocks from Exchanges in Emerging Economies to International Centres,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3301, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2002. "Explaining the migration of stocks from exchanges in emerging economies to international centers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2816, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Kingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2002. "Explaining the Migration of Stocks from Exchanges in Emerging Economies to International Centres," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jeffrey Wurgler, 1999.
"Financial Markets And The Allocation Of Capital,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm123, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2001.
- Hemant Shah & Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Geoffrey J. Bannister & Ana Carvajal & Ivan Guerra, 2007. "Equity and Private Debt Markets in Central America, Panama, and the Dominican Republic," IMF Working Papers 07/288, International Monetary Fund.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1993.
"Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C93-016, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Risk-taking, global diversification, and growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 61, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1988. "The effect of financial liberalization on the efficiency of credit allocation : Some evidence from Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 101-110, July.
- William Easterly, 2003. "Can Foreign Aid Buy Growth?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 23-48, Summer.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Levine, R. & Loayza, N., 2000.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125520, Tilburg University.
- Michael B. Devereux & Gregor W. Smith, 1991.
"International Risk Sharing and Economic Growth,"
829, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- G. Andrew Karolyi, 2004. "The Role of American Depositary Receipts in the Development of Emerging Equity Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 670-690, August.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, .
"Stock markets, banks and economic growth ,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"The Great Reversals: The Politics of Financial Development in the 20th Century,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
265, OECD Publishing.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 2001. "The Great Reversals: The Politics of Financial Development in the 20th Century," CEPR Discussion Papers 2783, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2001. "The Great Reversals: The Politics of Financial Development in the 20th Century," CRSP working papers 526, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2001. "The Great Reversals: The Politics of Financial Development in the 20th Century," NBER Working Papers 8178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Atje, Raymond & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1993. "Stock markets and development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 632-640, April.
- Patrick Honohan & Thorsten Beck, 2007.
"Making Finance Work for Africa,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 6626, March.
- Ross Levine & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2003.
"Migration, Spillovers,and Trade Diversion: The Impact of Internationalization on Stock Market Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
9614, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2003. "Migration, spillovers, and trade diversion : the impact of internationalization on stock market liquidity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3046, The World Bank.
- repec:fth:wobaco:1083 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 1998. "International Cross-Listing and Order Flow Migration: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2001-2027, December.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2001.
"Emerging equity markets and economic development,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 465-504, December.
- Juan Sole & Gabriel Sensenbrenner & Amor Tahari & J. E. J. De Vrijer & Marina Moretti & Patricia D Brenner & A. Senhadji Semlali, 2007. "Financial Sector Reforms and Prospects for Financial Integration in Maghreb Countries," IMF Working Papers 07/125, International Monetary Fund.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid, 1999. "A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 381-405, December.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Beck, T.H.L. & Honohan, P., 2008. "Finance for all?: Policies and pitfalls in expanding access," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3508393, Tilburg University.
- Henry, Peter Blair, 2000. "Do stock market liberalizations cause investment booms?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 301-334.
- Ndikumana, Leonce, 2000. "Financial Determinants of Domestic Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Panel Data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 381-400, February.
- Alberto Moel, 2001. "The Role of American Depositary Receipts in the Development of Emerging Markets," Journal of LACEA Economia, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine A. Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2007. "Impact of Remittances on Poverty and Financial Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 07/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Vivekanand Jayakumar, 2002. "Impact of International Cross-listing on Local Exchanges: Evidence from Chile," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 3(3-4), pages 189-211.
- Kenny, Charles J. & Moss, Todd J., 1998. "Stock markets in Africa: Emerging lions or white elephants?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 829-843, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.