A Small Quarterly Multi-Country Projection Model
AbstractThis is the second of a series of papers that are being written as part of a larger project to estimate a small quarterly Global Projection Model (GPM). The GPM project is designed to improve the toolkit for studying both own-country and cross-country linkages. In this paper, we estimate a small quarterly projection model of the US, Euro Area, and Japanese economies. The model is estimated with Bayesian techniques, which provide a very efficient way of imposing restrictions to produce both plausible dynamics and sensible forecasting properties. We show how the model can be used to construct efficient baseline forecasts that incorporate judgment imposed on the near-term outlook.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/279.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-01-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FOR-2009-01-03 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2009-01-03 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eyal Argov & David Rose & Philippe D Karam & Natan P. Epstein & Douglas Laxton, 2007. "Endogenous Monetary Policy Credibility in a Small Macro Model of Israel," IMF Working Papers 07/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2003.
"Historical monetary policy analysis and the Taylor rule,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 983-1022, July.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 2003. "Historical monetary policy analysis and the Taylor rule," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Douglas Laxton & Andrew Berg & Philippe D Karam, 2006. "A Practical Model-Based Approach to Monetary Policy Analysis: Overview," IMF Working Papers 06/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Cara S. Lown & Donald P. Morgan, 2002. "Credit effects in the monetary mechanism," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 217-235.
- Juillard, Michael & Kamenik, Ondra & Kumhof, Michael & Laxton, Douglas, 2008.
"Optimal price setting and inflation inertia in a rational expectations model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2584-2621, August.
- Michel Juillard & Michael Kumhof & Ondra Kamenik, 2005. "Optimal price setting and inflation inertia in a rational expectations model," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tamim Bayoumi & Ola Melander, 2008. "Credit Matters," IMF Working Papers 08/169, International Monetary Fund.
- David Laidler, 2003.
"The price level, relative prices and economic stability: aspects of the interwar debate,"
BIS Working Papers
136, Bank for International Settlements.
- David Laidler, 2003. "The Price Level, Relative Prices, and Economic Stability: Aspects of the Inter-War Debate," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 200310, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Igor Ermolaev & Michel Juillard & Ioan Carabenciov & Charles Freedman & Douglas Laxton & Ondra Kamenik & Dmitry Korshunov, 2008. "A Small Quarterly Projection Model of the US Economy," IMF Working Papers 08/278, International Monetary Fund.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
NBER Working Papers
5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Douglas Laxton & Andrew Berg & Philippe D Karam, 2006. "Practical Model-Based Monetary Policy Analysis," IMF Working Papers 06/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Andrew Swiston, 2007. "Foreign Entanglements," IMF Working Papers 07/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Dennis P. J. Botman & David Rose & Douglas Laxton & Philippe D Karam, 2007. "DSGE Modeling At the Fund," IMF Working Papers 07/200, International Monetary Fund.
- Cara S. Lown & Donald P. Morgan & Sonali Rohatgi, 2000. "Listening to loan officers: the impact of commercial credit standards on lending and output," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 1-16.
- Liu, Li-gang & Zhang, Wenlang, 2010. "A New Keynesian model for analysing monetary policy in Mainland China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 540-551, December.
- Mehmet Balcilar & Rangan Gupta & Kevin Kotze, 2013. "Forecasting South African Macroeconomic Data with a Nonlinear DSGE Model," Working Papers 201313, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Pär Österholm, 2010.
"Improving Unemployment Rate Forecasts Using Survey Data,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 16-26, Spring.
- Österholm, Pär, 2009. "Improving Unemployment Rate Forecasts Using Survey Data," Working Paper 112, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Michel Juillard & Charles Freedman & Dmitry Korshunov & Douglas Laxton & Ondra Kamenik & Ioan Carabenciov & Igor Ermolaev & Jared Laxton, 2008. "A Small Quarterly Multi-Country Projection Model with Financial-Real Linkages and Oil Prices," IMF Working Papers 08/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Giesen, Sebastian & Holtemöller, Oliver & Scharff, Juliane & Scheufele, Rolf, 2012. "The Halle Economic Projection Model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1461-1472.
- Mardi Dungey & Denise R Osborn, 2009.
"Modelling International Linkages for Large Open Economies: US and Euro Area,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
121, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Mardi Dungey & Denise Osborn, 2009. "Modelling International Linkages for Large Open Economies: US and Euro Area," CAMA Working Papers 2009-24, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.