The Eastern Caribbean Central Bank: Challenges to an Effective Lender of Last Resort
AbstractThe paper analyzes the challenges for the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) to be an effective lender of last resort (LOLR) as part of a modern banking crisis resolution framework. The main results from the theoretical model of the ECCB's institutional arrangement are that the majority of currency union members may veto emergency lending in the case of a member-specific shock, as such lending may endanger the stability of the currency board (by lowering the central bank's international reserves, thus raising devaluation risk). However, in the presence of contagion across countries, all currency union members have a vested interest in liquidity supply from the central bank. A key policy recommendation is that currency union members need a stronger fiscal position to continue to access international financial markets and sustain the exchange rate peg.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/214.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-10-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-10-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-10-07 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Robert Flood & Nancy Marion, 1998.
"Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature,"
NBER Working Papers
6380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert & Marion, Nancy, 1999. "Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Nancy P. Marion & Robert P. Flood, 1998. "Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature," IMF Working Papers 98/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2003.
"The Lender of Last Resort: A 21th Century Approach,"
IDEI Working Papers
215, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno M. Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2003. "The lender of last resort: A 21st Century approach," Economics Working Papers 708, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M. & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2003. "The lender of last resort: a 21st century approach," Working Paper Series 0298, European Central Bank.
- Dong He, 2000. "Emergency Liquidity Support Facilities," IMF Working Papers 00/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Pierre van den Boogaerde & Charalambos G. Tsangarides, 2005. "Ten Years After the CFA Franc Devaluation: Progress Toward Regional Integration in the WAEMU," IMF Working Papers 05/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Corrinne Ho, 2002. "A survey of the institutional and operational aspects of modern-day currency boards," BIS Working Papers 110, Bank for International Settlements.
- Marie-ThÃ©rÃ¨se Camilleri Gilson, 2004. "An Institutional Framework for Comparing Emerging Market Currency Boards," IMF Working Papers 04/180, International Monetary Fund.
- Wendell A. Samuel & Emilio Pineda & Mario Dehesa, 2009. "Optimal Reserves in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 09/77, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.