The option-iPoD. The Probability of Default Implied by Option Prices based on Entropy
AbstractWe present a framework to derive the probability of default implied by the price of equity options. The framework does not require any strong statistical assumption, and provide results that are informative on the expected developments of balance sheet variables, such as assets, equity and leverage, and on the Greek letters (delta, gamma and vega). We show how to extend the framework by using information from the price of a zero-coupon bond and CDS-spreads. In the episode of the collapse of Bear Stearns, option-iPoD was able to early signal market sentiment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/194.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Douglas J. & Liu, Wei-han, 2002. "On the recovery of joint distributions from limited information," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 259-274, March.
- Manmohan Singh & Jochen R. Andritzky, 2006. "The Pricing of Credit Default Swaps During Distress," IMF Working Papers 06/254, International Monetary Fund.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2006. "Market-Based Estimation of Default Probabilities and Its Application to Financial Market Surveillance," IMF Working Papers 06/104, International Monetary Fund.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Buchen, Peter W. & Kelly, Michael, 1996. "The Maximum Entropy Distribution of an Asset Inferred from Option Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 143-159, March.
- Saldías, Martín, 2013.
"Systemic risk analysis using forward-looking Distance-to-Default series,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 498-517.
- Martin Saldías Zambrana, 2010. "Systemic risk analysis using forward-looking distance-to-default series," Working Paper 1005, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Martín Saldías, 2012. "Systemic Risk Analysis using Forward-Looking Distance-to-Default Series," Working Papers w201216, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Dicembrino, Claudio & Scandizzo, Pasquale Lucio, 2011.
"Can portfolio diversification increase systemic risk? evidence from the U.S and European mutual funds market,"
33715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claudio Dicembrino & Pasquale Lucio Scandizzo, 2012. "Can Portfolio Diversification increase Systemic Risk? Evidence from the U.S and European Mutual Funds Market," CEIS Research Paper 240, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 11 Jul 2012.
- Matros, Philipp & Vilsmeier, Johannes, 2012. "Measuring option implied degree of distress in the US financial sector using the entropy principle," Discussion Papers 30/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Rainer Masera, 2011. "Taking the moral hazard out of banking: the next fundamental step in financial reform," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(257), pages 105-142.
- Dimitrios Bisias & Mark Flood & Andrew W. Lo & Stavros Valavanis, 2012. "A Survey of Systemic Risk Analytics," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 255-296, October.
- Stefano Fenoaltea, 2010. "The reconstruction of historical national accounts: the case of Italy," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 63(252), pages 77-96.
- Vilsmeier, Johannes, 2011. "Updating the Option Implied Probability of Default Methodology," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 462, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Rainer Masera, 2010. "Reforming financial systems after the crisis: a comparison of EU and USA," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 63(255), pages 299-362.
- Sessi Tokpavi, 2013. "Testing for the Systemically Important Financial Institutions: a Conditional Approach," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-27, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Madan, Dilip B. & Schoutens, Wim, 2013. "Systemic risk tradeoffs and option prices," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 222-230.
- Jose Giancarlo Gasha & Andre Santos & Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Carlos I. Medeiros & Marcos Souto & Christian Capuano, 2009. "Recent Advances in Credit Risk Modeling," IMF Working Papers 09/162, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.