Understanding the Inflationary Process in the GCC Region: The Case of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait
AbstractThis paper investigates the factors that affect inflation in the GCC region by examining the inflationary processes in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. The paper utilizes a model that accounts for foreign factors affecting inflation, such as trading partners' inflation and exchange rate pass-through effect, as well as domestic influences. The analysis concludes that, in the long run, higher inflation in trading partners' countries is the main driving force for inflation in the two countries, with significant but lower contributions from the exchange rate pass-through effect and oil prices. Demand and money supply shocks affect inflation in the short run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/193.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-08-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CWA-2008-08-21 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MAC-2008-08-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-08-21 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2008-08-21 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Jane Ihrig, 2001. "Monetary policy and exchange rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 704, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert J. Vigfusson & Nathan Sheets & Joseph Gagnon, 2007. "Exchange rate pass-through to export prices: assessing some cross-country evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 902, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ariel Burstein & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2005.
"Modeling Exchange-Rate Passthrough After Large Devaluations,"
NBER Working Papers
11638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burstein, Ariel & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 2007. "Modeling exchange rate passthrough after large devaluations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 346-368, March.
- Burstein, Ariel Tomas & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2005. "Modeling Exchange Rate Passthrough After Large Devaluations," CEPR Discussion Papers 5250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ariel Burstein & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2005. "Modeling Exchange Rate Passthrough After Large Devaluations," RCER Working Papers 514, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gordon de Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995.
"Modelling inflation in Australia,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
530, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Burstein, Ariel Tomas & Neves, Joao C & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2001.
"Distribution Costs and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics During Exchange-Rate-Based Stabilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2944, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burstein, Ariel T. & Neves, Joao C. & Rebelo, Sergio, 2003. "Distribution costs and real exchange rate dynamics during exchange-rate-based stabilizations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1189-1214, September.
- Ariel T. Burstein & Joao C. Neves & Sergio Rebelo, 2000. "Distribution Costs and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics During Exchange-Rate-Based Stabilizations," RCER Working Papers 473, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ariel T. Burstein & Joao C. Neves & Sergio Rebelo, 2000. "Distribution Costs and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics During Exchange-Rate-Based-Stabilizations," NBER Working Papers 7862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Campa, Jose M., 2006.
"Distribution margins, imported inputs, and the insensitivity of the CPI to exchange rates,"
IESE Research Papers
D/625, IESE Business School.
- Linda S. Goldberg & José Manuel Campa, 2006. "Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs, and the Sensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 12121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2006. "Distribution margins, imported inputs, and the sensitivity of the CPI to exchange rates," Staff Reports 247, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S, 2006. "Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs and the Insensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 5650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Urzua, Carlos M., 1996. "On the correct use of omnibus tests for normality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 247-251, December.
- Darrat, Ali F., 1985. "The monetary explanation of inflation: The experience of three major OPEC economies," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 209-221, August.
- Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Domestic and foreign effects on prices in an open economy: The case of Denmark," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 401-428, August.
- Bonato Leo, 2008.
"Money and Inflation in the Islamic Republic of Iran,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 41-58, January.
- Leo Bonato, 2007. "Money and Inflation in the Islamic Republic of Iran," IMF Working Papers 07/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Peng-fei Wang & Yi Wen, 2006.
"Inflation dynamics: a cross-country investigation,"
2005-076, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Laura Papi & G. C. Lim, 1997. "An Econometric Analysis of the Determinants of Inflation in Turkey," IMF Working Papers 97/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Allan W. Gregory, 1991.
"Testing for Cointegration in Linear Quadratic Models,"
811, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gregory, Allan W, 1994. "Testing for Cointegration in Linear Quadratic Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 347-60, July.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Axel Schimmelpfennig, 2006. "Inflation in Pakistan: Money or Wheat?," IMF Working Papers 06/60, International Monetary Fund.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2005.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 679-690, November.
- Alastair Cunninghan & Andrew G. Haldane, 2002. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism in the United Kingdom: Pass-Through and Policy Rules," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series (ed.), Monetary Policy: Rules and Transmission Mechanisms, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 12, pages 331-356 Central Bank of Chile.
- Marzovilla, Olga, 2010. "Impact of global economic imbalance on migrant workers and economies of the Gulf Cooperation Council," MPRA Paper 24210, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magda E. Kandil & Hanan Morsy, 2009.
"Determinants of Inflation in GCC,"
IMF Working Papers
09/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Kim, Won Joong & Hammoudeh, Shawkat, 2013. "Impacts of global and domestic shocks on inflation and economic growth for actual and potential GCC member countries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 298-317.
- Syed Abul Basher & Elsayed Mousa Elsamadisy, 2012.
"Country heterogeneity and long-run determinants of inflation in the Gulf Arab states,"
OPEC Energy Review,
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 36(2), pages 170-203, 06.
- Basher, Syed Abul & Elsamadisy, Elsayed Mousa, 2010. "Country Heterogeneity and Long-Run Determinants of Inflation in the Gulf Arab States," MPRA Paper 27348, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jay, Squalli, 2011. "Is the dollar peg suitable for the largest economies of the Gulf Cooperation Council?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 496-512, October.
- Marzovilla, Olga & Mele, Marco, 2010. "From dollar peg to basket peg:the experience of Kuwait in view of the GCC monetary unification," MPRA Paper 21605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.