Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThe relative financial strength of Islamic banks is assessed empirically based on evidence covering individual Islamic and commercial banks in 18 banking systems with a substantial presence of Islamic banking. We find that (i) small Islamic banks tend to be financially stronger than small commercial banks; (ii) large commercial banks tend to be financially stronger than large Islamic banks; and (iii) small Islamic banks tend to be financially stronger than large Islamic banks, which may reflect challenges of credit risk management in large Islamic banks. We also find that the market share of Islamic banks does not have a significant impact on the financial strength of other banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/16.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Čihák & Heiko Hesse, 2010. "Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 95-113, December.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-03-01 (Banking)
- NEP-CWA-2008-03-01 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FDG-2008-03-01 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-RMG-2008-03-01 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Heiko Hesse, 2007. "Cooperative Banks and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 07/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Sole, 2007. "Introducing Islamic Banks into Coventional Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 07/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Heiko Hesse & Andreas (Andy) Jobst & Juan SolÃ©, 2008. "Trends and Challenges in Islamic Finance," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 9(2), pages 175-193, April.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2004.
"Competition and financial stability,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 453-486.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2007. "Is there a diversification discount in financial conglomerates?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 331-367, August.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2005. "Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?," NBER Working Papers 11499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:imf:imfocp:49 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andreas Jobst, 2007. "The Economics of Islamic Finance and Securitization," IMF Working Papers 07/117, International Monetary Fund.
- S. Mishkin, Frederic, 1999.
"Financial consolidation: Dangers and opportunities,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 675-691, February.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1999. "Financial Consolidation: Dangers and Opportunities," NBER Working Papers 6655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luca Errico & Mitra Farahbaksh, 1998. "Islamic Banking - Issues in Prudential Regulations and Supervision," IMF Working Papers 98/30, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Islamic Financial Institutions and Products in the Global Financial System: Key Issues in Risk Management and Challenges Ahead," IMF Working Papers 02/192, International Monetary Fund.
- Chong, Beng Soon & Liu, Ming-Hua, 2009. "Islamic banking: Interest-free or interest-based?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 125-144, January.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Simon Wolfe & Klaus Schaeck, 2006. "Are More Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," IMF Working Papers 06/143, International Monetary Fund.
- El-Hawary & Dahlia & Grais, Wafik & Iqbal, Zamir, 2004. "Regulating islamic financial institutions : The nature of the regulated," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3227, The World Bank.
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2012.
"Risk in Islamic Banking,"
- Weill, Laurent & Godlewski, Christophe, 2012.
"Why do large firms go for Islamic loans?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Laurent Weill, 2012. "How Quality of Institutions Shape the Expansion of Islamic Finance," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2012-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Farook, Sayd & Hassan, M. Kabir & Clinch, Gregory, 2012. "Profit distribution management by Islamic banks: An empirical investigation," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 333-347.
- Aida Kammoun Abdelmoula & Asma Abidi, 2013. "The Effect of the Subprime Crisis on the Financing of Entrepreneurial Activities by Islamic Banks," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 3, pages 77-90, November.
- Abdelaziz Chazi & Lateef A.M. Syed, 2010. "Risk exposure during the global financial crisis: the case of Islamic banks," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 321-333, November.
- Jemma Dridi & Maher Hasan, 2010. "The Effects of the Global Crisis on Islamic and Conventional Banks: A Comparative Study," IMF Working Papers 10/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Nabi, Mahmoud Sami, 2012. "Dual Banking and Financial Contagion," MPRA Paper 49814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baele, L. & Farooq, M. & Ongena, S., 2010. "Of Religion and Redemption: Evidence from Default on Islamic Loans (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-014)," Discussion Paper 2010-136, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Gaganis, Chrysovalantis, 2013. "Regulations and soundness of insurance firms: International evidence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 632-642.
- Hassan Ghassan & Stefano Fachin & Abdelkarim Guendouz, 2013. "Financial Stability of Islamic and Conventional Banks in Saudi Arabia: a Time Series Analysis," DSS Empirical Economics and Econometrics Working Papers Series 2013/1, Centre for Empirical Economics and Econometrics, Department of Statistics, "Sapienza" University of Rome.
- Cihak, Martin & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Feyen, Erik & Levine, Ross, 2012. "Benchmarking financial systems around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6175, The World Bank.
- Omar Masood & Ghulam Shabbir Khan Niazi & Noryati Ahmad, 2011. "Empirical evidence on the risk management tools practised in Islamic and conventional banks," Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 105-116, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2013.
"Islamic vs. conventional banking: Business model, efficiency and stability,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 433-447.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010. "Islamic vs. conventional banking : business model, efficiency and stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5446, The World Bank.
- Kablan, Sandrine & Yousfi, Ouidad, 2011. "Performance of islamic banks across the world: an empirical analysis over the period 2001-2008," MPRA Paper 28695, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Feb 2011.
- Kablan, S & Yousfi, O, 2011. "Efficiency of islamic and conventional banks in countries with islamic banking," MPRA Paper 32951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bourkhis, Khawla & Nabi, Mahmoud Sami, 2013. "Islamic and conventional banks' soundness during the 2007–2008 financial crisis," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 68-77.
- Patrick A. Imam & Kangni Kpodar, 2010. "Islamic Banking: How Has it Diffused?," IMF Working Papers 10/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Molyneux Philip & Yip John, 2013. "Income diversification and performance of Islamic banks," Journal of Financial Management, Markets and Institutions, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 36-50, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.