Chile: Trade Performance,Trade Liberalization, and Competitiveness
AbstractThis paper analyses the evolution of Chile's trade between 1990 and 2007, studying in particular the impact of trade liberalization in addition to traditional price and demand determinants. The results show that export and import flows are mainly responsive to external and domestic demand, and less so to relative prices, although there is a small impact on imports. In addition, the analysis suggests that trade liberalization may have played a role in increasing exports and imports. Estimations of trade elasticities for other countries in Latin America tend to confirm the results found for Chile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/128.
Date of creation: 01 May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-11-11 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2008-11-11 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, .
"Demanda De Importaciones Para El Caso Colombiano: 1980 - 2004,"
Borradores de Economia
356, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, 2005. "Demanda De Importaciones Para El Caso Colombiano: 1980 - 2004," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002269, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Dierk Herzer & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005.
"The Free Trade Agreement between Chile and the EU: Its Potential Impact on Chile´s Export Industry,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
125, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- NOWAK-LEHMANN D., Felicitas & HERZER, Dierk & VOLLMER, Sebastian, 2007. "The Free Trade Agreement Between Chile And The Eu: Its Potential Impact On Chile’S Export Industry," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Claudio Paiva, 2003. "Trade Elasticities and Market Expectations in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 03/140, International Monetary Fund.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Manuel Agosin & Claudio Bravo-Ortega, 2009.
"The Emergence of New Successful Export Activities in Latin America: The Case of Chile,"
Research Department Publications
3265, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Claudio Bravo-Ortega & Manuel Agosin Trumper, 2007. "The Emergence Of New Successful Export Activities In Latin America: The Case Of Chile," Working Papers wp236, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, 2005.
"Demanda De Exportaciones No Tradicionales En Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002268, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan Nicolás Hernández, . "Demanda de Exportaciones no Tradicionales en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 333, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Keiko Murata & Dave Turner & David Rae & Laurence Le Fouler, 2000. "Modelling Manufacturing Export Volumes Equations: A System Estimation Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 235, OECD Publishing.
- Tarziján, Jorge, 2013. "The emergence of world-class companies in Chile: Analysis of cases and a framework to assess integration decisions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 1728-1735.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.