Competitiveness in the Southern Euro Area: France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Spain
AbstractThis collection of studies analyzes developments in nonprice external competitiveness of France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Spain. While France, Italy, and Portugal have experienced substantial export market share losses, Greece and Spain performed relatively well. Export market share losses appear associated with rigidities in resource allocation (sectoral, geographical, technological) relative to peers and lower productivity gains in high value-added sectors. Disaggregated analysis of goods and services export markets provides insights on aspects such as quality, market concentration, growth of destination markets, and geographical and sectoral diversification. Also, increased import penetration, offshoring and FDI could improve productivity and export performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 08/112.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-06-21 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2008-06-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2008-06-21 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Peter Neary, 2006.
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 37(2), pages 197-213.
- J. Peter Neary, 2006. "Measuring Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 06/209, International Monetary Fund.
- J Peter Neary, 2005. "Measuring Competitiveness," Working Papers 200521, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J Peter, 2006. "Measuring Competitiveness," CEPR Discussion Papers 5982, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Menzie Chinn, 2006.
"A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 115-143, January.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2005. "A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation," NBER Working Papers 11521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005.
"New Rates from New Weights,"
IMF Working Papers
05/99, International Monetary Fund.
- Ian Marsh & Stephen Tokarick, 1996. "An assessment of three measures of competitiveness," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 700-722, December.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1995. "Competitiveness and External Trade Performance of the French Manufacturing Industry," IMF Working Papers 95/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2012.
"Western Europe's Growth Prospects: an Historical Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2012. "Western Europe’s Growth Prospects: an Historical Perspective," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 70, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Florence Jaumotte & Piyaporn Sodsriwiboon, 2010. "Current Account Imbalances in the Southern Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 10/139, International Monetary Fund.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou, 2011.
"The role of product variety and quality and of domestic supply in foreign trade,"
128, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis, 2011. "The role of product variety and quality and of domestic supply in foreign trade," MPRA Paper 32034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruo Chen & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Thierry Tressel, 2012. "External Imbalances in the Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 12/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicos Christodoulakis & Vassilis Sarantides, 2011. "External asymmetries in the euro area and the role of foreign direct investment," Working Papers 132, Bank of Greece.
- Jacopo Costa & Roberto Ricciuti, 2013. "Sources for the Euro Crisis: Bad Regulation and Weak Institutions in Peripheral Europe," Working Papers 15/2013, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Jules Leichter & Cristina Mocci & Stefania Pozzuoli, . "Measuring External Competitiveness:An Overview," Working Papers 2, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Hartmut Egger & Etzel Daniel & Hagen Lesch & Holger Zernanek & Christoph Moser, 2011. "Braucht Europa eine Koordinierung der nationalen Lohnpolitiken?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(02), pages 03-15, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.